Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

balers

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chief 83

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: balers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My New Holland 315 baler has been pronounced DOA. Just too much wrong to be repaired. So, I'm in the market for a newer baler, much newer. My heart just can't take another used baler that requires you to be thankful for every bale that comes out without an issue. The 315 was a good one but it's just plain worn out.
I'm looking at several options but probably going with a New Holland BC5050. I do 3000 to 3500 per year so it's just a small farming operation. I've found a couple used ones that seem pretty good. Is there a website somewhere that I can determine the year of the baler from the serial number? Anyone have good or bad to say about the 5050?

Deere Scotty
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: balers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tried & True! They are a good baler, & it will be more than You need. More is better in this case.

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: balers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't have any opinion on the newer stuff, but how do you justify the expense for so few bales? I'm seeing prices in the $12-16K range. Do you have a market that justifies that much? No insult intended, I'm just trying to wrap my head around why people spend what they do when the future is so uncertain.

Shale

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: balers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am in almost the exact same situation as Chief83. EXCEPT my wallet is not nearly as big. I am partial to New Holland and would really like to get a 565, but it is very tough To justify even that model, unless I get one with a lot of bales gone thru it, and then I am in the same situation as now, a guy with a worn out baler. I think my options are limited to a NH326 or NH320. Any opinions on whether I am thinking straight?

Doug in IL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: balers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This would be a good time to move up to Deere.

Chief 83

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: balers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bret, you sound like my wife! It is damn tough to come to grips with a new baler that is for sure. Where we live though if you want to have a farm you have to have the stuff to do it with. Most of the farming is gone and you can't get anyone to do hay for you. I do sell some hay and provide hay for my dad and my sisters horses. That said it would be smarter to get rid of my cows try to give the horses away and move into a condo thats for sure. Nobody every accused me of having any brains. But I've had it with standing in the middle of my hay field with a broken baler waiting for the rain to start.

Shetland Sheepdog
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: balers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Confused Did you say move up to Deere? Shocked Son, you are confused!! Laughing He's already got the best baler out there, even if it's plumb wore out! Sad Why would he want to go backward? Surprised Wink Laughing

GordoSD
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: balers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You are doing at least 14,000 dollars in hay per year and don't want to spend a little for a baler? Do the math man.

mschwartz

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: balers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was in a similar situation as you, upgraded from two well used JD 336 balers to a new caseih SB531 last spring. I think that this is one model up from the NH5050 baler. I wanted the extra bar on the pickup for doing better job on light windrows and the heavier driveline. Bought it with the bale chute extension and manual tension. Worked great, was about 12K less than the new JD baler. I do about the same amount of hay as you and I guess I justified the new route as thinking I was going to pull it for the next 20 plus years. Good maintenance on a new baler has to be better than trying to correct abuse and neglect on a used baler. Mike

Plowboy1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: balers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

well, once you own the baler, you got it even if the economy tanks. I figure "stuff" that works is better than money that may be useless and hey, you can always sell it.

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: balers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I dunno. 3K of squares in my area would only be about $6-7K if you had nice stuff and delivered it. Hard for me to wrap my head around the investment. I'd love to, please understand that, but the money isn't there. I'm doing about half of what the OP is with a NH 68. Had to rebuild it, but I don't have $500.00 in it. No insult intended to anyone, just trying to understand how other folks look at things.

Now, one of those rotary rakes...that I could almost justify- used of course.

Shale

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: balers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey Bret, please let us know where you live. If you are only getting $2.30 a bale for nice stuff and you have to deliver it for that price to boot, I am willing to buy as many bales as you can sell. Right now in the eastern corn belt you can consider yourself very lucky indeed if you can buy a bale of 'nice stuff" for less than $5.00, out of the mow, no delivery. Actually, if the best you can do is $2.30 delivered, I have a hard time believing you can make any money haying even if someone GAVE you your hay equipment.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: balers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Worn out machines can always be rebuilt no mater how bad they are, now if it is rusted away that is a different story. I would try to get it rebuilt and also find a second baler of same model for a backup. I rebuild up to 80+ year old machinery for the folks that want that type of machinery and nothing has been made for the last 50 years that they are allowed to use. So rebuilding is the only option.

david1

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: balers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree. The old stuff was made way better that the stuff being made today.

WyoDave
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: balers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You really think so? I love old tractors and machinery, but new machinery, especially balers, are much, much better machines then their predecessors. I expect my new balers to punch out 25-30,000 bales per baler, every season, with mininal maintenance. Show me an old one that can do that.

David

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.