Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wagon Gear Differences Revisited

View previous topic :: View next topic  
namdc3
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Wagon Gear Differences Revisited Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A while ago I asked about the differences between the earlier models of running gears. I have a little more info and thought I'd post it. Maybe someday when I forget it, I can search the archives and answer my own questions. Smile

VW: all-steel gear on steel wheels, plain bearings, horse and tractor speeds
VWT: all-steel gear with rubber tires, bronze bearings, speeds up to 20 mph
VT: highway trailer with rubber tires, tapered roller bearings, speeds up to 40 mph
VWTA: rubber tires, tapered roller bearings

I don't see any difference between the VT and VWTA other than that the VT offered brakes and spring suspension. The VWTA may have had a little more ground clearance as well. One brochure (1940) had the VW, VWT, and VT; and a different brochure (1947) had the VW and VWTA. I'm guessing the VWTA replaced both the VWT and VT.

Last edited by namdc3 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon Gear Differences Revisited Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The older VWTA-5 had a tread width of 59" The VWTA-66 had a tread width of 66" They never had brakes or leaf spring bolsters. The G-20 replaced them and did have a highway version for Ammonia tanks. After that the RW series built by electric Wheel took their place until Case stopped selling running gears. Read the script carefully, as it describes the low speed bearings also.
Loren

namdc3
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon Gear Differences Revisited Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, ACG. I think you mean VWTA-S insteaad of 5, and it was 56" instead of 59". I'm just clarifying for the future's sake. Thanks for the heads up on the low-speed models. They were still available and are just mentioned in the VWTA-S photo caption. Thanks, again!

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon Gear Differences Revisited Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Too much sanding dust on my glasses from being in the woodworking shop today!! LOL

namdc3
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Wagon Gear Differences Revisited Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well, that sounds like a good kind of problem to have.

Hayrack
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Wagon Gear Differences Revisited Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have 2 VWTAS gears with barge boxes and hoists on them and 2 VWTA 66 gears with 8x16 hayracks on them. I still think they were the most overbuilt gears out there for their load rating! I can't count how many 125 bushel loads of shelled and ear corn I have hauled on the VWTAS gears (7000 lbs plus the weight of the box and hoist on a gear rated for 5000.) I have also hauled countless loads of 150 50+ lb bales of hay on the vwta 66 gears (7500 lbs plus the weight of the rack) and I have never once had a any of them break! The one wagon has been in the family since new and my uncle used to fill it full of shelled corn and hookit behind the grain truck to haul a little extra each trip. He would pull it loaded at 40 to 50 mph!!! Thanks for posting the copies of the sales literature!!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.