Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ford 3000

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
longear
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: ford 3000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am going to look at a ford 3000 to buy.

anything I should look for?

It is gas and has a ford loader.

Thanks in advance.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: ford 3000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looking back at your earlier posts it appears that you are more of a Farmall man.
But a tractor is a tractor so I assume you know to look at tires, tin, paint, leaks, cracks, welds, smoke and to listen for knocks or rattles.
First off you Never trust the hours on the tach on one of these as they were prone to fail early.
Second what tranny does it have?
They came with 4,6,8 speeds with or W/O live PTO.
They also came with Select O Speed trannys - the worlds first powershift in a tractor. Others here can add more about the merits or demerits of the SOS.
Power steering is a big plus as is LPTO.
Some guys prefer diesels. Others are very happy with gassers.
They are great, small tractors. Known to be very reliable and parts are reasonable and relatively easy to find.
Post a little more info on it such as price, etc and some decent pictures if you can.
We can offer more and better replys then.

longear
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: ford 3000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="Ultradog MN"](reply to post at 17:17:19 12/13/12) [/quote]

It has the 8 speed tranny

i had a 4000 with that sos and never liked it.

guy says $5000 for it photos he sent look good.

I do prefer gas.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: ford 3000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ditto what ud said.

things to look at on a gasser are to see if the fuel system is cobbled up.. if it still has the oe holley carb or a zenith.. how the hyds for the laoder are run.. etc.

post back

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: ford 3000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ditto what ud said.

things to look at on a gasser are to see if the fuel system is cobbled up.. if it still has the oe holley carb or a zenith.. how the hyds for the laoder are run.. etc.

post back

Billy NY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

Seeing it has a loader, you can check the front axle pivot pin for excess wear, given its likely an ag/rowcrop front end.

Shetland Sheepdog
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 3000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First sign of loader abuse will be a curve in the front axle radius rods!

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 3000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

$5K is reaching the upper limit on these things.
It had better be pretty nice for that and either have PS, a rebuilt engine plus live PTO and pretty good tires.
Can you post the pictures?
Or email me and I will post the photos.
We like to pick apart the wares of other sellers here and will help you if we can.

longear
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: ford 3000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="Ultradog MN"](reply to post at 03:23:38 12/14/12) [/quote]

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/grd/3465929527.html

see if this link works

Thanks for all the replies

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: ford 3000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not a bad looking tractor.
Figure $500 for the pie weights and $1000 - $1200
for the loader, now the tractor itself is in the $3300-$3500 zone which is about right. Seller might knock off a bit too.
I think it warrants closer inspection.

TMo
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: ford 3000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't get burned like I did on a Ford 4000 gasser
I bought. Original Holley Carb was a mess. The
tractor had a lot of blow-by. I should have
compression tested it right on the spot, only
would have taken very little time, instead of
buying it and finding out later that it had a bad
cylinder. So really check it out good. Take a
mechanically inclined friend with you to help
inspect it too.

It can get pretty pricey to improve that machine
just in tires and carburetor alone.

longear
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 3000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

is the only way to test the blow by with a compression test?

longear
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 3000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I went and looked at it.

It has power assist steering.

Not a live pto.

no major leaks

one pretty new rear tire.

tin is all straight.

starts and runs as it should

Loader very strong.

only bad things I could say is the paint is ugly and the rear tires are not loaded.

I did talk him down a bit. (not quite enough for me to commit yet)

Thanks for all the replies

longear
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: ford 3000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I went and bought it. Got it for $3000. did I do ok?

Pops1532
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: ford 3000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

longear wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:23:10 01/21/13) I went and bought it. Got it for $3000. did I do ok?

I'd say you have exceptional negotiating skills to talk him down 40%.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.