Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Head gasket leak?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cooter143
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Head gasket leak? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I noticed while mowing this fall that my radiator fluid (8n side mount 6-volt) was bubbling up into a froth. I"ve let it sit until now but just took it for a little drive, it didn"t bubble over but it is still frothy. (I think it was also overfilled before.) What would most likely be the cause, and is this something I need to fix now? I"d rather wait unless it could cause damage elsewhere. Thanks.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Head gasket leak? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

adjust the level so it is not overfull.. then re check.

any water inthe oil?

any oily sheen in the water?

post back

Cooter143
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Head gasket leak? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The coolant is down to about the right level, and no water in oil. Radiator fluid looks clean, if there is any oil in it I can't see it.

pconnie
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Head gasket leak? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

check for trash in rad. fins ..blow it out from engine side..phil

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Head gasket leak? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

if you thing there is a combustion chamber leak.. do a leakdown test and a compression test.

Jimps
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Head gasket leak? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a head gasket leak or so I thought until I investigated further. Here are links to 3 videos I posted on my problem and the eventual fix. Simple test first, look for combustion gases in the radiator neck. Warm up the engine good (about 10-15 minutes) and look down in the radiator neck for bubbles. That is compression gases entering the cooling system. That is symptomatic of a blown head gasket, warped head or crack in either the head or block. Mine was a cracked AND warped head with a sprinkling of rotted bolt holes. I didn't have froth, merely bubbling. But that doesn't mean that froth isn't indicative of a leak.

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11rK9PdWnEQ

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBoSDb9QyNY

Part 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUc8DAJxv94

Hope this helps,

Jimps in GA.

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Head gasket leak? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

cooter........FIRST thing you do is do the dreaded compression test....NO ARGUE!!!.... Ford specs: 90psi min (dry). Surprizingly enuff, a compression test will also locate a BLOWN head gasket cylinder. NO need for leak down test. Compression gauges are cheap, leak down tests are complicated and take special external pressure source.

The ONLY time the cylinder head gasket leaks is when the cylinder gas pressure exceeds the 4psi pressure of the radiator. Wannna guess when that is???

Bottom line, yer NOT gonnna muck-up yer engine iff'n you don't change the head gasket right away. .......Dell

ZANE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Head gasket leak? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Quit looking in the radiator and run it.

Zane

Cooter143
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Head gasket leak? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok, thanks to all. I'll pull it in the garage this winter test the compression but until then I'll just ignore it. Mostly I didn't want to make a small problem worse. Thanks.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.