Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Used Combine Tires

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suffolk1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Used Combine Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Came across a set of used 18.4-26 diamond tread Goodyear tires. I was told they were 6 ply but more likely 8 ply. Have been on a John Deere combine. Tread looks okay but there is weather checking on sidewalls and tread. Considering getting them for back-ups for a Gleaner C2. Tires currently on the Gleaner are the same size, tread pattern, and brand but in a little better condition so they would match if I only had to replace one. Combine used for grain only and no hillside or steep fields. Considering the price of new tires, if I lost one of those currently on the Gleaner, I would be in a bind. What is your opinion of these tires? How much would they be worth to you? How difficult have you found it to locate better used tires of this size? Appreciate your opinions.

LeonardWD45
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Used Combine Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bought one with wheel this summer for my combine. Deal was I had to remove from parts machine. Only cost me $100.

Leonard

casecollectorsc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Used Combine Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was thinking $150 per tire. Had diamond tread once, not much traction in mud or snow.

FarmerZeb
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Used Combine Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i bought two tires on rims for my JD3300 two weeks a go for $125 they were only slightly rougher than those mine were std bar tread

i think it is a cheap insurance policy for a flat during harvest. if i had a flat during harvest it would be 150 bucks just for the tire man to make a svc call much less the tire or tube

-paul

Fordfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Used Combine Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Combine tires show up with some regularity at consignment sales in my area. Parts yards sell them, too. I picked up a pair of 40-50% 23.1x26's for about $300 a year or two ago from a parts yard, 'just in case'. I keep watching auctions, hoping I can get 1 or 2 on rims for cheap. Hasn't happened yet.
If diamond tread works for you, I'd say go ahead and buy them. Wouldn't be worth much of anything to me - too much mud and snow to deal with here.

Brad Gyde
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Used Combine Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a pair of 18.4-26 Firestone Field and Road tires on eBay as I type..

They are not on rims, but I started em at $30 bucks, with 7 hours and 4 minutes to go on the auction, they're still sitting with no bids.

If you really need a set on rims, I have a set of BFG's on rims off of a A2 Gleaner with awesome tread, but for some reason my silly family member broke the valve stems off of them (bet he was going to dismount and scrap the rims too) I could let go cheap..

OR

Uncle has a pair of em probably 95% tread (forget which brand though) and they are NEWER on Deere 6600 rims (don't believe they are the standard 8 bolt pattern) I could get ya cheap too..

Guess what I'm trying to say is there's good rubber that could be had cheap.. Like was said, if we took what we have to a consignment sale, all 3 sets combined probably would hardly bring $300.. Heck, if my set on ebay sells for just 30 dollars, I don't lose anything.. I bought em thinkin I had a need for em.. It's been 4 years, they're still sitting in the same corner I stuffed em in then (other than I took em out to take some pics...)

Brad

Suffolk1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Used Combine Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Brad
Any of the three sets you have access to would work. Only problem is the 1600 + miles between your place and mine. I'm in Utah and don't get to your neck of the woods often. If I could think of some excuse for a long road trip, I'd do it. Thanks for the information, however.

Brad Gyde
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Used Combine Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well, dang.. thats a bit of a drive for sure..

I'd ship em to ya, but they're a bit large for a USPS flat rate box, lol.. Even if I gave em to ya free, I imagine truck freight would still make it impractical.

When scrap got ungodly in this neighborhood, all the old combines started to disappear, and their tires flooded the consignment sale market.. sadly, them 26's only truly fit on combines (however I've seen em on a lot of allis tractors.. if they fit, and they're round go for it I suppose)..

I guess the point I was getting at there was I've never been too successful at moving combine tires.. I've tried moving about a dozen sets over the last 5-6 years, and ended up giving em away so to speak, but I imagine out in Utah combines are a bit more sparse than they were around here..

I suppose giving em away is cheaper than paying to get rid of em whole.. and easier than cutting em up in little pieces and hauling em to a landfill..

Brad

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.