Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ford 9700 loose steering

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeffro_bodine2000
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Ford 9700 loose steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our 9700 steering had started to get a lot of slop and now it will not turn at all. Its completely hydrostatic and I took the pump off and inspected it and it is pumping as it should. I am thinking that there is an issue in the steering box itself. Anyone else had this happen and how easy/expensive is the fix?

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 9700 loose steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Assuming that the oil level is correct in the resevoir.... you've either got a steering cylinder that is bypassing internally.... or a bad steering motor.
I'd probably take one line or the other off the steering cylinder then turn the wheel the opposite direction and see if oil comes out the nipple on the cylinder end. If it does... then you have a bypassing cylinder that needs rebuilt. If no oil moves at all... you have a motor problem. That, IIRC, is a replacement issue at this point. No doubt you can rig something up that will work.

Rod

Jeffro_bodine2000
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 9700 loose steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yeah I was going to try and take the hose off at the cylinder today and see. I will try it tomorrow and go from there. How hard is the steering motor to take off? I know the hood will need to come off to gain better access.

mike2366
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 9700 loose steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jeffro_bodine2000 wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:41:03 12/16/12) Yeah I was going to try and take the hose off at the cylinder today and see. I will try it tomorrow and go from there. How hard is the steering motor to take off? I know the hood will need to come off to gain better access.

I removed the steering motor/ hand pump from our 9700 several years ago do to excessive leaking. I took the hood, upper fuel tank and the fuel tank support off to get to the steering motor. I replaced all four hydraulic lines while it was apart also.

Bern
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 9700 loose steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd lay odds that it's a cylinder. Follow Rod's advice for testing before you rip it apart.

juniur
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 9700 loose steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

check the rag joint (flex coupling at base of column ) you can buy a repair kit at napa

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.