Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Removing rear wheel hub 1951 Massey Harris 44

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MHW
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Removing rear wheel hub 1951 Massey Harris 44 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Trying to remove the rear wheel hub on a 1951 Massey Harris 44, and it"s stuck. Removed the cover from the hub on the axle, but cannot get the hub to move.

Have tried banging with hammer, pulling with hydraulic jack and chain, used plenty of PB spray, heated the wheel, nothing works, hub won"t budge.

Any ideas?

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing rear wheel hub 1951 Massey Harris 44 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had to cut one of mine off, they are a bugger. I have heard of others pulling the axles and putting them in a press.

mattwillson
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing rear wheel hub 1951 Massey Harris 44 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

try driving around the yard for a few minutes, try not to get too far from the shop though.

Bob H from Missouri
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Removing rear wheel hub 1951 Massey Harris 44 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I made myself a puller. I used a piece of 3/4" plate, drilled holes same pattern as hub, and all thread with nuts and washers. Insert a 40 ton jack in the cage with bottom of jack against plate and top against axle end. Pulled it so tight it won't jack any more and smack the back end of hub with sledge hammer. Once it pops, spray with PB Blaster and pull it rest of way off. Bet I've pulled 20 of them with it with success on all of them. It even snaps the pins that hold the key in position on the hub.

Mike in Mn.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing rear wheel hub 1951 Massey Harris 44 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob H from Missouri has the right set up, instead of using the jack I have used a spacer piece of shaft and tightened the gr 5 threaded rod tight and then set a bug burtha propane torch on the hub for a half hour or so, when things start smokin keep tightening and hit the end of your home made puller with a mall and it will start to move. I drove one on the farm once for two years with the bolts loose before it started to creek when you backed up,still took all afternoon to get it off. Then what is funny, get it all cleaned up and replace the seal and shim every thing nice and then you can't keep them tight!!

MHW
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Removing rear wheel hub 1951 Massey Harris 44 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the helpful tips. Finally got it off after enough banging and heating, and setting up the jack puller to apply pressure in the opposite direction inwards, and it finally broke loose.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.