Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paint Guns?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
S.D.L.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Paint Guns? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is the best gun for painting? I have heard Sata, Devilbiss, and others. Which has the best reputation or is the best? Thanks!

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Paint Guns? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Look at the same question posted here on Nov. 26th

benelli7979

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint Guns? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was in the same spot as you looking for a good HVLP gun. I found a sata set on Craigslist for a reasonable price. It had 2 sata jet 3000 digitals in it with a couple other sata guns. A primer and small finish gun. These things can put the paint down. I have sprayed with the harbor freight purple gun and devlbiss and a couple old style syphon guns. The sata is they way to go. A little pricey new. You might have luck finding a used setup though. Good luck.

MO8N4ME
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint Guns? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

S.D.L. wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:28:43 12/17/12) What is the best gun for painting? I have heard Sata, Devilbiss, and others. Which has the best reputation or is the best? Thanks!

A Wagner Electric. They are about $70 at Walmart. I painted a 100 feet of picket fence with one in 'no time', both sides. A lot cheaper than them other models you listed and you don't need no compresser.

CNKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Paint Guns? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not an automotive paint gun, may work, sort of, but should not be compared with a gun designed to do the job.

Jason S.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Paint Guns? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Any of the higher end guns are going to be good guns. As to which one is best, that is kind of dependant on the person spraying. Everybody lays paint on differently, some like a huge pattern,some a narrow pattern,some like 50% overlap when they spray others like about 10% overlap.My opinion is buy the best you can afford and one that fits your hand well and learn to spray with it.Ive used the high end SATA's several times and I dont spray as well with them as I do the Iwata's because they are what I'm used to.

glennster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Paint Guns? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the top of the line production and custom use spray guns are the sata guns. there are spendy. the second best production guns are anest iwata. visit any body shop and you will see sata or anest iwata guns. we have sata guns here at my shop.

Cockbird_Hunter
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Paint Guns? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Purchased an iwata lph-100 with little usage on ebay for ~ $75. I have found this gun nice for painting tractor underside with the tilting side cup feed.

MO8N4ME
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Paint Guns? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CNKS wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:17:08 12/18/12) Not an automotive paint gun, may work, sort of, but should not be compared with a gun designed to do the job.

The original poster never said what he was painting. What he is painting and the type of material to be used has everything to do with the type of gun to recommend. The Wagner works well on fences.

Like I implied in the other "Paint Gun Thread". A beginner should not spend $400 for a first spray gun to paint his/hers first tractor.

CNKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint Guns? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

He mentioned Sata and Devilbiss, those are not fence guns. A person can buy an expensive gun for a tractor if he is serious about painting. The one I bought retailed for about $300 ten years ago. If he is only going to paint one tractor you are correct.

MO8N4ME
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint Guns? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CNKS wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:37:56 12/18/12) He mentioned Sata and Devilbiss, those are not fence guns. A person can buy an expensive gun for a tractor if he is serious about painting. The one I bought retailed for about $300 ten years ago. If he is only going to paint one tractor you are correct.

I'd like to get into competition pulling or racing. I heard 'Bickel' or 'RJ' are good chassis builders. Could you give me some recommendations?

And then there is this:

Quote:
SATA® spray master™ RP®
Multi-task tool for carpenters and painters
The multi-task tool for carpenters and painters Special system for spraying high viscosity material. Ideal for carpenters coating small surfaces and painters with special application problems.

A complete product line of industrial and woodworking finishing equipment.

FinishLine FLG4 Gravity Feed HVLP

DeVilbiss
FLG-HV-315 Gravity Feed Spray Gun is a light weight, general purpose HVLP spray gun suitable for use with a wide variety of common coating materials. This gun is perfect for craftsmen, contractors or certified painters.

I'm well aware that you are an experienced painter. Had you asked the same question as the original poster, my answer would have probably been differant.

CNKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Paint Guns? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

MO8N4ME wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:27:52 12/18/12)
CNKS wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:37:56 12/18/12) He mentioned Sata and Devilbiss, those are not fence guns. A person can buy an expensive gun for a tractor if he is serious about painting. The one I bought retailed for about $300 ten years ago. If he is only going to paint one tractor you are correct.

"I'd like to get into competition pulling or racing. I heard 'Bickel' or 'RJ' are good chassis builders. Could you give me some recommendations?"

I know nothing about pulling or racing.

And then there is this:

Quote:
SATA® spray master™ RP®
Multi-task tool for carpenters and painters
The multi-task tool for carpenters and painters Special system for spraying high viscosity material. Ideal for carpenters coating small surfaces and painters with special application problems.

A complete product line of industrial and woodworking finishing equipment.

FinishLine FLG4 Gravity Feed HVLP

DeVilbiss
FLG-HV-315 Gravity Feed Spray Gun is a light weight, general purpose HVLP spray gun suitable for use with a wide variety of common coating materials. This gun is perfect for craftsmen, contractors or certified painters.

I'm well aware that you are an experienced painter. Had you asked the same question as the original poster, my answer would have probably been differant.

Last edited by CNKS on Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Paint and Bodywork All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.