Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SC Case Thermostat placement?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomfg
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: SC Case Thermostat placement? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got a new thermostat put in my SC Case today and tried it out. The temperature gauge got close to 200 degrees and promptly started belching anti-freeze out the radiator overflow.
Which direction is this type of thermostat suppose to go, Spring "up" toward radiator, or Spring "down" toward engine?
Thanks, Tom

John Saeli
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: SC Case Thermostat placement? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tom: Spring down, just like you have it pictured. Is that how you had it?

1031D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: SC Case Thermostat placement? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The spring is actually a temperature sensitive wire, always goes twords the engine. Is there a bypass hole in it? Belching is cured by drilling a very small hole in the thermostat so a trace amount of water can circulate.

Pastor John
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: SC Case Thermostat placement? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tom here is a link to a pic from Mike Schotte posted some time back on this forum. Shows those bypass holes

http://www.tractorshed.com/gallery/pieces/v86.jpg

tomfg
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: SC Case Thermostat placement? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, I had the spring / bulb down toward the engine side. Guess I could put it in a pan of water on the stove and see if it opens. Don't believe the wife has a candy thermometer to see if it's opening at 160 degrees though.

Iowa Barber
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: SC Case Thermostat placement? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tom, you probably had air trapped in engine Try warming engine slowly by starting and stopping engine, Brian

tomfg
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: SC Case Thermostat placement? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I suppose trapped air is a possiblity. If so, then maybe I should drill a little by-pass hole in the thermostat so air can bleed up and out when I fill the radiator and engine back up with anti-freeze.

John Saeli
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: SC Case Thermostat placement? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you have the belching problem before you tried the T'Stat? The drilled hole is a good idea.

tomfg
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: SC Case Thermostat placement? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Never had any radiator problems with this tractor in the past, but never had a thermostat in it either. After the partial rebuild of the engine, I ran it for half an hour (without) a thermostat, drove it around, etc., with no problems, and the temp gauge needle never moved off the bottom. Will try testing the thermostat in hot water today for starters, and if it works okay, then drill a little hole or two in it to make sure the air gets bled out of the system when I refill with anti-freeze. Thanks.

Pastor John
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: SC Case Thermostat placement? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tom I have had the radiator off my SC twice and to a good radiator shop. They cleaned it up inside and out and replaced the overflow line and it still will not hold coolant above the top of the core.

I'm going to add a thermostat in the spring with Mike Schotts idea of the two holes in the flange. Like yours my SC barely moves the temp gauge. Maybe this will do the trick. My good friend says those tractors rum more efficiently up around 180 degrees anyway.

Good Luck

tomfg
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: SC Case Thermostat placement? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

FYI, I tested out the thermostat in a pan of hot water with a new candy thermometer. It opened at 170 degrees. I figured that was close enough, so I took it out to the garage, drilled two 1/8" holes in it, installed it, and refilled the radiator. I started it up, and ran it at fast idle for 25 minutes, and the temp gauge needle never moved off the bottom peg,(about 135 degrees) until I shut the engine off, and then it went up to about 150 degrees. Maybe this is okay, being it was 30 degrees outside, and the engine was just idling.
If I would have been thinking, I would have put the candy thermometer in the radiator while I was running it to compare with the temp gauge.

John Saeli
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: SC Case Thermostat placement? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is she good this time? No pushing coolant out? I don't test every T'stat, but radomly check some, & have never found a bad one.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.