Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CFM through a 504?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lamont
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: CFM through a 504? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does anyone have any idea how many CFM a 504 is breathing? Naturally aspirated or turbo either? I'm thinking I read somewhere or figured at one time that a 504BDT should be around 1100. I have no clue why I'm thinking that or even what rpm, load, etc. Just in my head. Thanks for any insight on this.

RGMartin
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: CFM through a 504? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In a perfect scientific setting a NA 504 can only breath 292 CFM at 2000 rpms. Real world will be much less.

504 CI divided by 2(only drawing air every other time around) x 2000 rpm divided by 1728 (CI in a CF)

Lamont
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: CFM through a 504? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Any idea what the Volumetric Efficiency, on average, of a diesel of that era would be? Most spark ignition engines were between 0.7 and 0.8. Would a diesel be close to that or better? My thought would be better, but?????

massey 333
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: CFM through a 504? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This may be a stretch,but try Turbo Pre-Cleaners site or the company copying Turbo.one of them had it a few years ago when we were building our 970 up.

LApuller

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: CFM through a 504? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You are way off if you think a older tractor motor will flow between 0.7 and 0.8. Actural flows are more like .45 to .55. A diesel is about the same.

Lamont
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: CFM through a 504? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't doubt you are correct, but are you speculating or is this fact?

LApuller

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: CFM through a 504? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have REAL air flow numbers from pulling tractors on a dyno. I have tested almost every type of tractor and have two different ways of testing the air flow.

Lamont
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: CFM through a 504? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good enough. Have you tested any with turbos on them. If so, what kind of VE do they have? I would think to get good HP results, it would have to be in the 2 to 3 range, BUT that would mean 5 to 6 times the VE of NA engines. Is that possible?

LApuller

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: CFM through a 504? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have dynoed turbo tractors but have never checked the air flow rates.

RGMartin
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: CFM through a 504? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lamont wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:29:55 12/20/12) Good enough. Have you tested any with turbos on them. If so, what kind of VE do they have? I would think to get good HP results, it would have to be in the 2 to 3 range, BUT that would mean 5 to 6 times the VE of NA engines. Is that possible?

How much boost?

Eldo case
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: CFM through a 504? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't know the answer but will say that a radiator hose used for a intake hose will collapse and make one smoke. Seen that happen!!!!!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.