Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm shopping for a gooseneck flatbed trailer

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Old Iron
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: I'm shopping for a gooseneck flatbed trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And I found these.
http://stjoseph.craigslist.org/grq/3415108505.html

Anybody familiar with these trailers?
The price for their 2013 trailers seems pretty low at $3995.00 for a new 20'+5'

JimEvans
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: I'm shopping for a gooseneck flatbed trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The price is really low. You might be getting what you pay for. Most of the manufacturers and dealers are not selling cheap, stripped trailers anymore like this one, so you need to compare that.

It will need brakes on the other axle to be legal in most states. Most of the competition will have LED lighting, 102" wide, and new tires.

The deck is painted on this one? Does that mean he is not using pressure treated wood? That would save a lot of money. However, the deck will only last about 2 years.

How much does this trailer weigh? I would think that it is missing a few crossmembers or uses lighter frame than other trailers.

Personally, I would spend a little more money and get something nicer.

Paul from MN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: I'm shopping for a gooseneck flatbed trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with Jim. Seems awful low, so I would be
concerned that they cut a few corners. Selling it
with a painted deck and used tires sort of confirms
(they are cutting corners) that in my mind

Meangreen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: I'm shopping for a gooseneck flatbed trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This guy is a little north of you, but he makes good trailers at a decent price. I just bought one from him last spring.
Stateline Trailers

JDPhil

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm shopping for a gooseneck flatbed trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a Hurst trailer years ago cheepest price around I got what I paid for when I got home all the lights were hanging out of the holes by the wires, welded up the holes, fixed the wires that hung down,the worst pulling and riding trailer I ever pulled. It had new tires on it they all blew out long before they wore out.

WGWKy2

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm shopping for a gooseneck flatbed trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a Hurst over 30 years ago, cheap, roughride, pull hard, lights fell off and the brakes don't work. I still have it, gonna get a Gatormade when my boat comes in.

JDPhil

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm shopping for a gooseneck flatbed trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A Gatormade is what I have now had it for over 2 years, it is a very good trailer im very happy with it.

Old Iron
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm shopping for a gooseneck flatbed trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yeah,.... I noticed the "used tires" and painted deck too.

The price seems to be pretty low, so I suppose the quality is too.

I'm just shopping around for a trailer right now, and will probably wind up buying a better quality used one.
Thanks fellas for your replies.

d beatty

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm shopping for a gooseneck flatbed trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you read the add real close. It says you can get new 10 ply tires for $500.00 more. That would run the price fromm $3995.00 to $4495.00 still a cheap trailer. I don't remeber if it said how far apart the cross supports were under floor. One reason it is a little cheaper is its only 8 foot wide.

willie in mn
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: I'm shopping for a gooseneck flatbed trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 8 foot wide can be an advantage. In several states 102" wide not allowed on state/county roads, only on Interstate System.
Willie

d beatty

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: I'm shopping for a gooseneck flatbed trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What state can't you pull a 102" in because all the trailer our companies fleet the last 15 years are 102" 48 and 53 footers . The old 8 footers that we use to use are now storage trailers. We went every where in the 4 state area we covered even into residental neighbor hoods with 102's. We have three companies in Indiana that build semi trailers and the last 10 years all you see in the lots that they store new trailer they are 102's.

M Nut
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: I'm shopping for a gooseneck flatbed trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check and see if any dealers nearby sell PJ brand. I have one that is almost ten years old, and I love it. Have done nothing to it but use it, and keep it washed if used in the winter. It cost me $3900 brand new in 2004. 20+5, 14,000lb, 102" wide, brand new radial load range E tires (Including spare too) , brakes on both axles, locking toolbox, and 3 spring assist ramps on the rear. I haul 11 1200lb bales with it regularly, no problems at all. Still has original tires and brakes.

Just another opinion

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: I'm shopping for a gooseneck flatbed trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Plus it only has brakes on one of the two axles! That is not legal in all states...

Bobinva
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: I'm shopping for a gooseneck flatbed trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Go here http://www.deltatrailers.com/....and don't look back....they're in Ark....so not so far away..I've got the 20' plus 4' with...brakes on both axels, dual spring loaded jacks up front, extra 8ft platform over the gooseneck, and the raised/lower beaver tail...great trailer....and don't forget you need a great brake controller... (can you say Tec P3?) Bobinva

Last edited by Bobinva on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
willie in mn
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm shopping for a gooseneck flatbed trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ref- Rand McNally Motor Carriers Atlas, 2012 edition, page A16, State/provincial weight & size limits. Note- 102" legal on Interstate System, all states.
Alabama- 96" on hiways with lane widths under 12'
Washington D C 96"
Florida- 96" on lanes less than 12'
Louisiana-96"
Michigan-96", 102" on designated highways only
Missouri- 102" if less than 10 miles from Interstate, otherwise 96"
New Jersey-96", 102" on designated routes
New York- 102" on 10'lanes, otherwise 96"
Pennsylvania-96",102" on designated highways.

That's what the book says is legal. What is actually done is sometimes completely different.

When I started in the business, 38' x96" was the most common size. Then came 40', 45', 48'x102", & from 93 until retirement I pulled 53' x 102".
In 93/94, Maine & Utah if pulling 53' had to call scalehouse before entering state for permit. Washington state pick up 53'permit at first scalehouse. In Iowa under the old 96" rules, only mirrors could be wider than 96". CB antenna at edge of mirror had to be removed. Don't get me started on length rules.
Willie diesel pilot-retired

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.