Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How long should 3pt hydraulics take to warm up?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cow
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: How long should 3pt hydraulics take to warm up? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been plowing snow in my driveway with my to-30 and a rear blade. Temperature is around 20-30F out.

I know hydraulics are slower in the cold but this is ridiculous. When I first start up the tractor if I pull the 3pt lever up I have time to get off and walk 100' to the house before it starts to move. Once it has been up and running for a while its a little faster but still has me sitting waiting a lot for the blade to pick up. Seems like it wasn't this bad last year.

Sound like just cold or like something's actually wrong? Where would I start looking for a problem?

Zachary Hoyt
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: How long should 3pt hydraulics take to warm up? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Used to have that problem with my 35 when I had 80-90 in the
read end and transmission, especially with a loader on it. Then I
went to hytran and it works much faster.
Zach

Joe TO Fan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: How long should 3pt hydraulics take to warm up? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was using my TO 30 yesterday to plow snow and it was in the upper teens. I had no problems with the hydraulics. The only issue is that if I didn"t let the motor warm up at least a little bit, the hydraulics use would kill the motor ... maybe 30 sec or so.

Jason S.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: How long should 3pt hydraulics take to warm up? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John(uk) would tell you to fill the transmission and hydraulics
with 10w30 oil. It"s much thinner in the winter time and works
just as good in the summertime, plus it"s yellow metal safe.
Hytran isn"t yellow metal safe as most other modern hydraulic
oils aren"t yellow metal safe.

s19438
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: How long should 3pt hydraulics take to warm up? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i use the 80/90 wt oil. it takes about 30 min. in real cold weather to warm up. but after warm up every thing works just fine.

Inno
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: How long should 3pt hydraulics take to warm up? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jason S. wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:23:02 12/20/12) John(uk) would tell you to fill the transmission and hydraulics
with 10w30 oil. It"s much thinner in the winter time and works
just as good in the summertime, plus it"s yellow metal safe.
Hytran isn"t yellow metal safe as most other modern hydraulic
oils aren"t yellow metal safe.

This is what I plan to put in my TO-35. I put 90wt. mineral oil in my 202 and even at room temperature that stuff is thick! But I won't be using the 3pt on it anymore. I can't imagine using it at -20, it would turn to molasses.

Cow
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How long should 3pt hydraulics take to warm up? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Came up with a solution, at least until someone tells me I've done something horribly wrong but I thought it was a good idea.

Oil was low so I put about a half a gallon of marvel mystery oil in there to kinda thin it out.

Works great now.

Since I don't have anything better to do, I made a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oY6yp_B_u0U

Last edited by Cow on Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.