Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

still having electrical problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wisconsin johnnie
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: still having electrical problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

on my 8n, the original problem was a dead battery. I charged up the battery and installed it. I tried to start it up and heared a buzzing sound coming from the starter area. I leaned over, put my hand on selinoid and could feel it vibrating. So i replaced my selinoid. ( 3 point selinoid ) went to hook up the battery and when I touched the neg cable to the post, (having the pos alreaady hooked up) it sparked, and the moter turned over. I then disconnected the middle cable on selinoid and tried to hook up the battery. The thought was if there was a short in the starter button I could diagnois it as either a short in the wire or the starter button was stuck open. Again a spark. I then replaced all of my wiring except the lights, I just disconnected them. With new wires , hooking up the battery produced another spark. Any ideas? Could my voltage regular be the problem?

Bruce(VA)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: still having electrical problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

" Could my voltage regular be the problem? "

No. It's not in the starting circuit.

Is it 6v or 12v?

Does it have the OEM starter switch on the tranny & the OEM key switch on the dash?

Is the solenoid installed w/ the small terminal toward the block?
75 Tips

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: still having electrical problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Almost certainly not the solenoid but could be the battery. Have you load tested the battery?

What size (gage) are the battery cables?

Are all of the connections clean and tight?

Dean

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: still having electrical problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

wisconsin johnnie wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:15:08 12/20/12) on my 8n, the original problem was a dead battery. I charged up the battery and installed it. I tried to start it up and heared a buzzing sound coming from the starter area. I leaned over, put my hand on selinoid and could feel it vibrating. So i replaced my selinoid. ( 3 point selinoid ) went to hook up the battery and when I touched the neg cable to the post, (having the pos alreaady hooked up) it sparked, and the moter turned over. I then disconnected the middle cable on selinoid and tried to hook up the battery. The thought was if there was a short in the starter button I could diagnois it as either a short in the wire or the starter button was stuck open. Again a spark. I then replaced all of my wiring except the lights, I just disconnected them. With new wires , hooking up the battery produced another spark. Any ideas? Could my voltage regular be the problem?
In addition to the small third terminal, you should have another relatively small wire connected to the large solenoid terminal that also has battery cable on it. Remove that small wire & set it aside such that now the only connection to the solenoid is cable from battery and the other large terminal connection to starter motor. Empty small 3rd terminal. Now see if your connection still makes a spark?????????

wisconsin johnnie
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: still having electrical problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To answer some of the questions posed to me so far. Got a new battery. Termals connection & the ground were cleaned up. I have a regular battery cable for the pos and a metal webing looking terminal for the ground. The middle post of the selinoid is outward looking. i have the battery cable connection of the selinoid at 9 oclock, the starter terminal at 6 oclock and the other one at 3oclock.
My starter button is located close to the gear shifter boot and my key switch is on the left hand side. Both pieces are original as far as i know.

wisconsin johnnie
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: still having electrical problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

it's a 12 volt converted about 10 years ago

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: still having electrical problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 3 post solenoids have a battery side and a starter side and if you mix them up it can/will do just as it is doing to you. Switch it around

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: still having electrical problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So, much for the clock, but........what happened with ONLY the batt cable to one large terminal & starter motor to other large terminal and neither of the other wires connected (nothing other than battery cable & starter motor).. Spark or not??

wisconsin johnnie
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: still having electrical problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i dont have a small wire that goes along with the battery cablewire
I have 3 terminals all have only 1 wire going to it. Where does that smaller wire come from?

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: still having electrical problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

wisconsin johnnie wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:27:29 12/20/12)
I have 3 terminals all have only 1 wire going to it. Where does that smaller wire come from?
All electrical 'stuff' besides the starter have to get power from some place and that is generally (certainly in factory form) by way of a wire from the battery terminal of the solenoid, going to the ammeter & from ammeter to terminal block, where all else ties in, including key switch & ignition.

DON TX
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: still having electrical problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"The middle post of the selinoid is outward looking."
The middle post should be inward looking.
HTH
DON TX

BillM (OH)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: still having electrical problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As JMOR points out, there should be 3 wires connected to the solenoid:
1. Large cable from battery on battery side terminal
2. Wire from ammeter on battery side terminal
3. Wire from starter switch to the small terminal FACING THE BLOCK on the solenoid.
Sounds like your solenoid is on backwards, as you say the small terminal is facing away from the block,

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: still having electrical problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

wisconsin johnnie wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:27:29 12/20/12)

Maybe you could post a picture of what you've got to help us out.
It does sound like your solenoid is mounted backwards, but unless you have
other wires ran incorrectly or a stuck solenoid, that would make it not work at all.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.