Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fire risk

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TuckerMac
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: fire risk Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I store my 48 H in a garage with four other cars and an apartment overhead. I have the original 6 volt ignition system with a cutout. Does the tractor present any real fire risk when it is being stored?

Tom Fleming
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: fire risk Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not really if you have no fuel leaks.

IaGary

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: fire risk Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The cars may be and probably are a bigger risk than the tractor.

Gary

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: fire risk Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yup, the cars are every bit as much of a fire risk if not more, due to the fact that they are much more complicated and have many more things that can go wrong.

If you really want to set your mind at ease about the tractor, disconnect the battery and shut off the fuel at the gas tank. The only way it can catch fire at that point is if you pour gasoline on it and throw a lit match at it.

JRSutton
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: fire risk Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It shouldn't. The only real risk would be from leaking gas.

When you turn the tractor off, do it by closing the gas valve and let the carb run dry.

Assuming the valve itself isn't leaking, and there are no rust holes in the tank, I'd say you've got virtually nothing to worry about.

Gearhead210
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: fire risk Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All my toys sit in the shed with the negative (since they're 12V) battery cable off. Too many local farmers have had to rebuild equipment sheds by me. Most tractors aren't fused on the little wires, definitely not fused on the cables going to the solenoid/starter. It's a 2 minute task that eliminates one big risk.

Al L. in Wisc.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: fire risk Reply to specific post Reply with quote

="Tuckermac; Previous posters know of what they speak. I'd be checking your fire code regarding smoke detectors. An insurance company can refuse to pay if you aren't in compliance-speaking from experience as a former volunteer firefighter. I along with fire chief returned to a house fire with insurance inspector and relocated a wire that fed a smoke detector (electrically operated) . I recalled the wire traveling a strange path when I was pulling down the ceiling with a pike pole while fighting the fire. Found it to the satisfaction of the inspector and folks got paid. I've got detector in attached garage and it only gives the warning tone if I have a vehicle or tractor running and the big door isn't opened right away. I sleep good.

TuckerMac
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: fire risk Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I thought of disconnecting the battery but I would have to repolarize the generator every time which requires removing the hood. I guess I could run some jump wires from bat. to gen.

John G. Hasler
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: fire risk Reply to specific post Reply with quote

> I thought of disconnecting the battery but I
> would have to repolarize the generator every time...

No you wouldn"t. Your tractor is no more of a fire risk than are the cars, but if it makes everyone feel better shut off the gas and disconnect the battery.

Wayne in MN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: fire risk Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The generator does not have to be polarized when the battery is removed & reinstalled or a cable disconnected!!
I remove the batteries on several tractors each fall (not close by) so I can charge them over winter. I have never polarized a generator in 20 or so years of winter battery removal and installation in the spring; the generator will not loose it's "magnetic memory" unless maybe being dropped on the concrete or battery polarity being reversed.

danmcdonald
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: fire risk Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have battery cut off switch on all my tractors and classic cars. Just gives me a peace of mind.

DC Snider
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: fire risk Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I disconnect my negative cable at the frame. I use a large wing nut and lock washer underneath it, takes just a second to unhook it...

Tom Fleming
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: fire risk Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Guys remember something. These old girls have survived over 50+ years, if they had caught on fire, you wouldn't currently have it. Safety measures are always a good thing. Don't go nuts. I actually take my batteries out for the winter (since my sheds are not heated), and put all my batteries in the basement and each has it's own trickle charger. Leaking fuel is absolutely the biggest risk on these old girls and much more of a hazard than the electrical.

so, I run the fuel out as best I can in the fall, and for some, actualy drain them.

Some good practices here.........just no need to go overboard.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: fire risk Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The tractor should not present a fire risk if the fuel is shutoff. I have the wiring in good shape on mine and do not disconnect the battery. I see no more risk on that than a car with the battery hooked up.

CNKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: fire risk Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I suppose I'm dangerous, I have 6 tractors with a battery maintainer attached to each, the batteries are not disconnected, the fuel is shut off. I expect no problems but they all get checked every day.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.