Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clutch RR

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colin King
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Clutch RR Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got the 1950 8N in my sights as the next project. I'm hoping to have the repairs done in time to shoot paint when it starts to warm up in April.

This one needs a new clutch.

I have yet to do a split, though I've seen PaulInMN with a nice set-up along with the FO-4 instructions and JimUT's great photobucket album.

I need a throwout bearing and a pilot bearing...clutch disk and pressure plate...

But what about seals? I don't see any mention in the FO-4 nor in the parts catalogue? Am I missing something? How is the diffy oil kept out of the bell housing?

Thanks, guys! And a Merry Christmas to you all!!
Colin, MN

Den N Ms
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch RR Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Colin,The seal is on the input shaft of the transmission or the Sherman.

russb wa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch RR Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is a seal at the tranny input shaft. I think it is reasonably priced, under ten bucks IIRC.

Den N Ms
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch RR Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Transmission input shaft SKF seal # 13568,Replace it when doing a clutch job.

Paul in MN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch RR Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Colin,

Contact me when you get close to doing the job. I'll give you a contact for a clutch guy who many of the big companies use and then they double his price to you. I have used him before and found him quite reasonable and very accomodating. He also has the needed bearings at reasonable cost, and he looks for quality parts.

When you do the clutch, check the starter ring gear very carefully for damaged or missing teeth. The 4 cylinder engine usually stops against compression in only 2 places on the ring gear, 180 deg apart. I have had to replace ring gears along with clutches, and have 1 or 2 N tractors sitting now needing clutches and ring gears, plus an IH 300 needing the same thing. My barn is just too cold for me to work on them now. I covet your shop!

Merry Christmas to both of you.

Paul in MN

Colin King
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch RR Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

It is darned cold for working outside. I spent a an hour in the shop this afternoon - not long enough to justify lighting a fire - and my hands are telling me they didn't like that. My shop is a beast to heat. It's not insulated and on a day like today when the high is in the low 20s, the best I can expect is about 50 degrees. Plenty warm to work in, but not good for painting, etc, and not easy on the firewood pile.

Thanks for the advice on the ring gear. I will also drop you a line for that fellow's contact info when I get to the clutch.

Colin

Colin King
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch RR Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, Den! I've got that number saved in my parts list.

Colin

Colin King
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch RR Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you, Russ!

Colin

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.