Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1972 New Gen Tractors [differences]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
larryanderson
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: 1972 New Gen Tractors [differences] Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have had a few 72 2520/3020/4000/4020/&4320s and notice that they are not always the same.Most but not all have wide front with one less bolt,They have one more slot usually on L&D,Most always have long shifter,but some people changed them back,The rear axle housing are a little different and sometimes wheels have ovals some times circles.Any thing I am missing as I have some pretty sharp collectors stop and I dont have answers for some of the questions I get.I know 40 years things get changed.I have also seen 2 4320s with Stolper Cabs which I say is impossible[dealer installed I think]..A guy had 4520 advertised as 4620 but serial # and cab gave him away although he still has it reposted that way.Thanks

rockyridgefarm
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 New Gen Tractors [differences] Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dunno why anyone would switch back to the short shifter. I have a long shifter on my 4010 and think it's great.

Dalet
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 New Gen Tractors [differences] Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am pretty sure only the 43, 45 and 4620's came with the long shifters.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 New Gen Tractors [differences] Reply to specific post Reply with quote

4520 & 4620 didn't utilize the same shift handle(R46285) as late model smaller rowcrops. The larger tractors including 5010/5020 utilized shift handle AR59446

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 New Gen Tractors [differences] Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Interesting. Last winter I put a new A&I wide front under a 2510. I was told it was a copy of the JD close enough that parts would interchange. It certainly looks it, but it only has one clamp bolt per side. My JD wide fronts have two. So did JD make some wide fronts with one clamp bolt per side also?

Mike Aylward
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 New Gen Tractors [differences] Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have an original '71 4020 with a factory Hinson cab with air. It has the tall shifter. Better check your parts books. Mike

Mike Aylward
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 New Gen Tractors [differences] Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Larry, I am pretty sure about this but do some checking to verify it. I was told and shown that on original wide fronts of this era they will have a raised boss on the "a-frame" under the tractor that the earlier tractors did not have. This boss would be drilled and tapped for attaching hose guards for the HFWD tractors. I never noticed that until I was shown this and my later 4020 has this. The early one does not. Mike

larryanderson
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 New Gen Tractors [differences] Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The long shifter seems like it is on most every 2520/4020 made in 71/72.The 4320 were all long.As to A&I front I had a couple that said made in Canada and the center section was visibly larger on the bottom which to me would be better but to some not original.It is kinda funny how some brands the first of the series is hot and New Gen the last ones are most desirable.The first one made is sought after by the Keller Family but after that there isnt that much difference.There seem to very few over 270000.I have only seen two but there are 288 numbers over 270000 used for 4000s&4020s but some numbers are not used.I have not figured why.

M w J
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 New Gen Tractors [differences] Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know of people that put a short lever on so it
ditn't hit on there comfort cover in the winter.

tomstractorsandtoys1
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 New Gen Tractors [differences] Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The late 71 and 72 4020's used a different block casting with the front left corner changed to mount an airconditioner compresser and they had the square fuel filter(many older tractors have been changed).The 71 and 72's have single head lights with hi beam low beam switch in the floor board.

Mike Aylward
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 New Gen Tractors [differences] Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My '64 4020 only has one clamp bolt per side, on the top. Mike

wilamayb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 New Gen Tractors [differences] Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have used both types and prefer the straight shifter over the
crooked one. It shifts more smoothly with less drag on the
quadrant. It's a personal preference.

wilamayb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 New Gen Tractors [differences] Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When was the intake manifold changed? Is that a 71/72 or 72 only?

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 New Gen Tractors [differences] Reply to specific post Reply with quote

tomstractorsandtoys1 wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:51:25 12/22/12) The late 71 and 72 4020's used a different block casting with the front left corner changed to mount an airconditioner compresser and they had the square fuel filter(many older tractors have been changed).The 71 and 72's have single head lights with hi beam low beam switch in the floor board.

Single headlight on each side & dimmer switch was at SN >250.001

Rectangular fuel filter @ SN >280,000

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.