Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1968 Ford 2000

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ford 2000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They are good, reliable tractors.
Parts are readily available.
That one is pretty much a plain Jane with no PS, only a 4 speed, no live pto, and no differential lock.
I would not buy it though the price is in the zone.
For another grand you could get either a 2000 or 3000 with all the above mentioned features.
I would keep looking.

TimInd
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ford 2000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree, in that I would be looking for a Ford 3000 with 8 speed and live PTO.

Kurt-NEPA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ford 2000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There may be bigger tractors and tractors with more features out there. But they come with a price tag. I can never seem to find them in my area anyway.

This 2000 looks like a solid tractor to me. If it meets your needs, go check it out. Price isn't bad either, at least in North East Pennsylvania. Especially for a dealer price.

Lots of old Fords out there plowing with 4 speeds and no power steering.

MikeAC
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ford 2000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just wondering if the added hp of the 3000 would cause more
breakage on my plow with rocky pocono mountain soil.
My other tractor has 12 fwd speeds and I only seem to use
the basic 3 anyway. Diff lock does come in handy though.
I don't plan on using it for mowing , does the live pto matter ?
Also , does the pto shaft work off the transmission like an 8n?

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ford 2000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The hp difference between a 2000 and 3000 is not even noticable - 33 vs 37 or so. How you have it ballasted would make more of a difference than hp.
The 4 sp would have transmission pto - like an N but it does have live hydraulics which the Ns did not.
Biggest drawback on those 3 cyl 4 spds is they do have a fairly fast 1st gear. 6 or 8 sp is better for that but 4 sp is still more than adequate speedwise for field work and general use.
I have said this before but I would take PS over lpto any day, especially if you don't do much mowing.
Diff lock IS nice to have.
Early 2000 (like that one) with round rear axles did not have it.
Some of the later 2000s and most 3000 with square rear axle housings did have it.

MikeAC
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Ford 2000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Called on a 3000 I saw on CL . It was already sold but the seller said he has another one he is working on with PS and not sure he thinks DL also. Said he will call me back when he gets a better look at it.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.