Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

reversing a electric motor

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
schrade
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:19 am    Post subject: reversing a electric motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

have a franklin electric 1/2 hp motor can it be reversed how only 110 volt

Uncle Ernie
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: reversing a electric motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Look on the motor tag or the inside of the electrical cover. If it can be reversed the connections should be shown there.

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: reversing a electric motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It can be reversed if it has the appropriate accessible start winding terminals, should be avaialable right under the junction box where wires enter the motor and often a diagram and instructions are shown there.

A single phase split phase motor (unlike a 3 phase) isnt self starting, there needs to be an offset usually temporary seperate start winding which gets it spinning in one direction and is then disabled by a centrifugal switch.

Look under the motors entrance box for wires or diagrams or directions......

If I missed anything hopefully the other fine sparky gents here can add to this, Im a tad rusty in my old age lol

Merry CHRISTmas, a celebration of the birth of Christ and also a federal Holiday

John T

Paul Janke
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: reversing a electric motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I reversed an electric motor which didn't have the leads available. To do so, I took it apart and put the rotating parts and the end caps back in from the opposite ends. It's probably more accurate to say that I turned the middle section with all the wiring and windings end for end.

schrade
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: reversing a electric motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is an older motor cant find any wiring info on it or I wouldn't have asked

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: reversing a electric motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sure thing, that accomplishes what would have been done had it the easier accessbile wiring leads.......

John T

Dusty MI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: reversing a electric motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It depends on the type of motor and like said it's windings. Most motors if the can be reversed you just change 2 wires, don't remember for sure, I think it's 5 & 7.
Some motors, induction replusion, you shift the brushes.

Dusty

Jim's right it is 5 & 8.

Last edited by Dusty MI on Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total
JimKS
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: reversing a electric motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

wire #s 5 and 8 are the most common to switch.

Jim

George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: reversing a electric motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Post a pic of the motor with the cover plate removed, so we can see where you connect the power to. Usually the info you need is on the back side of the cover plate.

When I don't have the info I need, I take the motor apart. Look for the end switch. One of the wires on the end switch will go to the start winding and the other wire will go to a terminal where your 110v is connected, say L1. Use an ohmmeter and determine which wire of the start winding goes to L2. By reversing the connections of the start winding you will reverse the motor's direction. LOL

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: reversing a electric motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Reverse the polarity of the start windings. They are the pair with the higher resistance.

Dick2
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: reversing a electric motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just turn the motor around so the shaft is facing 180 degrees from where it was.

Sorry. Just couldn't resist that. The devil made me do it!

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: reversing a electric motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Or just move.......I think they turn the opposite direction if youre in the Northern or Southern hemisphere right???????

John T

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: reversing a electric motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On many motors there is a diagram on the back side of the electric cover plate that will tell you how to rewire it is it can be reversed that is

schrade
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: reversing a electric motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Findly got it after afew trys found the right wires

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: reversing a electric motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You guessed instead of finding out for certain first?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.