Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hey Lanse

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bill mart
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Hey Lanse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

More welding rod than you can shake a stick at.
Government surplus auction (on-line) in ohio. Bill
gov. auction

Puddles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey Lanse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As beat up as those cans are, and no way to return. I wouldn't touch it!

bill mart
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey Lanse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

do you know what the rod numbers equate to in comparison to 6011 etc. ? Bill

Puddles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey Lanse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I only looked at the 7018, and 8018 cans. They are low hydrogen welding rod.
6011 is an AC / DC welding rod 60,000 PSI tensile strength.
7018 is an AC / DC welding rod 70,000 PSI tensile strength.
8018 is an AC / DC welding rod 80,000 PSI tensile strength.

http://esabna.com/us/en/products_catalog.cfm?Product_ID=11

bill mart
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey Lanse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Puddles thanks. Bill

Puddles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey Lanse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just went back and looked at some more of those cans of welding rod. $150.00 opening bid! I don't pay that much even with state sales tax at my local Airgas.

Stan in Oly, WA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey Lanse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey Puddles,

It's hard to be sure, but I think your bid is on the whole lot, not on a single 50# can. I divided the acquisition price of a couple of lots by the number of units in the lot and came up with acquisition prices of around $42 per can. That seems about right. I seriously doubt that the government would expect to get any takers if they required an opening bid price of almost 4 times what they paid for the goods in the first place.

I didn't like the fact that the description of what are clearly stick welding electrodes uses the designation GTAW. Here is one verbatim (copied and pasted): ASME SFA 3.32 GTAW. There are already more than enough unknowns in this situation for me to be comfortable about outright mistakes.

Heck of a deal though if you could pick up 20,000 pounds of ESAB 7018 in sealed cans for a grand or so. Of course, there's the shipping.

Stan

evilboweivel
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey Lanse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

390-800 cans/boxes in each lot with 150 min bid per lot
lot of rod cheap
wonder if someone will bid at last minute

Stick welding

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Hey Lanse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It might be cheap rod but considering those cans are
darn heavy and very flimsy, I think most people
handling them would just be throwing them around.
Cans of welding rod are a lot heavier than you would
think by looking at them. Esab Atom-Arc is good rod
though.

Puddles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Hey Lanse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Stan I didn't read the details, but what you're saying makes sense.
I don't know if I posted it here or not. Few years ago I got a really good deal on some ESAB Atom Arc 7018 off ebay. Got a pink card in my P.O. Box when I went to the front desk I told the 6'-4 275 pound clerk that if the package was heavy please be very careful with it! As he was walking from the back I could hear him whining like a little school girl. When he got to the counter he slams the 50-pound box of 7018 on it! I just cringed. I walked off while shaking the box, rattle rattle. I stopped at a table still inside the room, took my pocket knife out and opened the box, a good 1/3 to 1/2 of the rods were broken! I looked up and he was watching me. I said what part of be careful you didn't understand! He took one step back looked to his right and said I have a disgruntled customer out here. The post master came into sight, and said get out! Get out now! And kept yelling, would not listen to my side of the story. Well working my whole life on the water front, I'm not real big on being yelled at, or told what to do. So I'm not going anywhere. The post master calls the Port Orchard police. 2 cop cars show up, one cop takes me aside to get my story, the other talks to the post master and clerk. The cop that was talking to me talks to the other cop then to the post office people. Comes back to me and says do you have Internet access? I replied yes. He says you need to go on line and file a complaint about this. 20-minutes after I hit the send button my telephone is ringing. Huh imagine that the Post Office's regional office in Seattle calling. The woman wants to hear my side of the story. When I finish she says that is not the same story the post master just told me. Again imagine that! I told her to pick a time, and date that we can all meet at the Port Orchard post office. She asked why, I said so we can all view the security cameras. Boy did her attitude change! Laughing

Stan in Oly, WA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Hey Lanse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great story, Puddles. Infuriating, but great. Did you eventually get any satisfaction for the damage? It seems like nowadays you practically have to go through a whole administrative process to resolve a situation with public employees that a simple apology might have taken care of initially. Of course, apology comes hard for the arrogant.

Stan

Puddles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Hey Lanse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nope! The woman told me it is Post Office policy not to pay for items like this.

Stan in Oly, WA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Hey Lanse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Naturally. That would be my policy, too. That doesn't mean I wouldn't have a legal obligation, though. After that kind of treatment, I might be inclined to take them to small claims court. Of course, any satisfaction you got there would be tempered by the knowledge that you were actually paying for both sides of the issue.

Stan

Stick welding

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Hey Lanse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The guy that drives the truck at work sometimes gets in a bad mood and throws the boxes of rod around. I just kind of bite my tongue. Lots of couriers are the same way even if you put 10 wraps of fragile tape on the boxes.

Lanse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey Lanse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wow, now theres a deal!!

Honestly, IDK what Id do with all that... lol... Im thinking about it tho. Thanks for pointing it out Smile

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.