Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Merry Christmas-swather pics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bradley K
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Merry Christmas-swather pics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Merry Christmas to you all, and here's some pictures of a JD swather that I got out in Wisconsin in early November. It was about an hour east of Duluth, was originally sold in North Dakota, the current owner had bought it out by Fargo in the mid 70's.

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

I am looking for a float spring, one fell off on the way home.

RedRoundhead
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Merry Christmas-swather pics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice looking machine. You don"t see too many of those around anymore. Good save!

Happy Holidays!

55 50 Ron
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Merry Christmas-swather pics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Merry Christmas Brad,

Are you running out of shed space? Glad you can save these items. I'll have to plan a trip to visit again when spring comes, that is, if it's OK with you.

Ron

flying belgian
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Merry Christmas-swather pics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm parting out an 800. Don't know if the float springs are the same or not. They are both still left on mine. Check it out and let me know if you need one.

Dick2
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Merry Christmas-swather pics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That was not a good machine compared to the other makes on the market back in those days. BIL wore out one; the last I saw it was in the bone yard out behind a rock pile in the pasture.

I'm sure there are quite a few of those in the trees or junk yards in ND as they were a relatively short-lived machine. Check around and make a few contacts; someone will have that spring that you need.

GreenEnvy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Merry Christmas-swather pics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can't think of any first generation swather that was good when those came out except maybe the Vesatile 103. They were all light duty and broke down easy.

chevytaHOE5674
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Merry Christmas-swather pics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Was that the one on Craigslist over near Mason Wi? I remember seeing it and hoping somebody would save it from the scrapper.

Bradley K
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Merry Christmas-swather pics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, Before I got to it, he had several offers to buy just the engine; but didn't want to scrap it. Didn't know there was much for crops in that area, the soil had a very red tinge to it.

Thought it was an interesting piece of history, don't see many old JD swathers. Most in our area were Owatonna.

Dick2
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Merry Christmas-swather pics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nephew has two Veratile swathers, but I don't know the models.

Brother has a Case that had the air-cooled engine replaced with a Case water cooled engine - which improved the swather a lot. Swathers are not used by many farmers in ND now, so he hasn't found a buyer for the Case SP swather or his larger JD pull-type swather - they are both still in the machine shed.

1206SWMO
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Merry Christmas-swather pics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Merry Christmas everyone..Nice find Brad..

JimIA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Merry Christmas-swather pics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like a neat machine! Never seen one like that before! You might want to check with Kalsem Salvage in Waterloo Iowa. 319-296-2236 not sure if someone will answer the winter months or not but he may have what your looking for.

Most of what was in this area was OMCs and later Deeres. The swather that Hesston started with was first built in my area. I do own one of the 50 he built before selling it to Hesston.

Merry Christmas!
Jim

ReedA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Merry Christmas-swather pics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

flying belgian wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:55:07 12/24/12) I'm parting out an 800. Don't know if the float springs are the same or not. They are both still left on mine. Check it out and let me know if you need one.

I have an 800 that the head is in pretty tough shape. Its the smaller one 10 or 12 foot draper. What shape is yours in?
Aren't you located around Mankato?

rusty6
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Merry Christmas-swather pics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That looks like a model 200A John Deere swather. There were a lot of them sold in SAsk. 30 to 40 years ago. About as good as anything else around at the time. Planetary drives on the Cockshutt swathers were a source of trouble. Not sure how the JD swathers did.

Jim Dayton
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Merry Christmas-swather pics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We sold a lot of these model 200A Deere swathers
only because there was nothing else in the Deere line until the 800 came out.

I still have the instruction manual for the factory change over program for them, a big program.

Hope I never see another 200A as long as I live!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.