Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ring gear on a c

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joepermuko
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: ring gear on a c Reply to specific post Reply with quote

can you flip the ring gear on a flywheel or is it best to just replace they only cost 50.00 hope everyone has a nice christmas and a great new years!

wbecker319
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: ring gear on a c Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you flip it you won't have the chamfer on the end of the teeth for the starter gear to slide into.
You could remove it and rotate it, a 4 cylinder normaly stops in 2 areas on the flywheel, so if you retate it 90 deg it will be stopping in an area where there is very little wear.

mdtractormechanic
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: ring gear on a c Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you go through all the work to split the tractor you might as well replace the ring gear. A new one runs around $50. Deals In A Pinch has it for $31.65 plus shipping.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: ring gear on a c Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes you can flip it if you can get it off with out harming it but if it is bad enough to need that done then your better off to install a new one and be done with it for another 50 years or flip it and maybe get 10 years if your lucky

Dick L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: ring gear on a c Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I always flip them it they are good enough. They will last as long as they did the first time if the starter drive is not in bad shape. Trying to use a crappy starter drive is what kills the ring gear in the first place. I always put the ring gear in a vise and bevel the teeth with an angle grinder. I have never had a flipped ring gear fail me.

Mike(NEOhio)

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: ring gear on a c Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you're going to flip it and bevel the teeth, you may also need to add a chamfer to the ID corner so it seats against the shoulder of the flywheel.

mdtractormechanic
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: ring gear on a c Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mike(NEOhio) wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:55:07 12/26/12) If you're going to flip it and bevel the teeth, you may also need to add a chamfer to the ID corner so it seats against the shoulder of the flywheel.

Yeah Mike....Seems like a lot of work considering a new one is somewhere between 30- 50 dollars.

Mike(NEOhio)

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: ring gear on a c Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe not. I put a ring gear on my Ford 2000 a few years ago. $88 and I had to get one from a dealer. Aftermarket sources were out. Must have been a popular replacement item. Also used an aftermarket starter gear and it's already grinding again lately. You get what you pay for.

mdtractormechanic
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: ring gear on a c Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know these prices are correct. I already looked then up.

I haven't heard of anyone having problems with the replacements.

Roger H MI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: ring gear on a c Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it hasn't already been fliped I would just flip it. The gear is just straight cut. Or atleast the one I replaced on my Allis B was. I would have just fliped mine but someone beat me to it. But the new one I purchased was close to $100.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.