Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Run with choke on - why?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Wieringa

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Run with choke on - why? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 1966 2000 with Holley carb. Why does it need the choke pulled out to run it's best? Push the choke off and the tractor dies. What do I have to look for? Thanks Jim

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Run with choke on - why? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Either it has a vaccuum leak, or your carb needs cleaned/overauled. The latter is more likely!

3000OH
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Run with choke on - why? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Long-known issue. Search the archives for Holley (or its alt spelling). Some swear by 'em, some at 'em. Count me in the latter. Bit the bullet some years ago and bought a Zenith for our '65, zero problems since then. But others like those H-carbs. So do yourself a favor and go back and read both sides of the story.

Have a good holiday.

Jim Wieringa

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Run with choke on - why? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had the tractor running nice and smooth with the choke on and took a spray bottle with soap and water in it and sprayed every place I could think of and it made no difference in the running. So I guess I can deduct that it is needing a carb kit eh!!

Jerry/MT
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Run with choke on - why? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What were you hoping to see with soapy water?

Try spraying starting fluid(CAREFULLY!)around the throttle shaft, the carb to intake manifold interface, and the cylinder head to manifold interface. if you heaar the engine speed up, you"ve found your leak. look for vcracks or rust holes in the intake manifold also.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Run with choke on - why? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jerry/MT wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:40:02 12/24/12) What were you hoping to see with soapy water?

Try spraying starting fluid(CAREFULLY!)around the throttle shaft, the carb to intake manifold interface, and the cylinder head to manifold interface. if you heaar the engine speed up, you"ve found your leak. look for vcracks or rust holes in the intake manifold also.
Bubbles inside intake tract? Twisted Evil

TimInd
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Run with choke on - why? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Another way to find a vacuum leak is with a bottle of propane, not lit obviously. Let a small amount of propane leak out on go over the obvious places where a leak could occur. When the engine speeds up, that's it.

3000OH
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Run with choke on - why? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As for a carb rebuild, some here say that it should only be a genuine CNH kit, not some aftermarket. You may find a seized/corroded accel pump piston.

BTDT before I tossed in the towel on the Holley. Not cheap to do. CNH does not stock replacement Holleys for 2000/3000/4000, only the Zeniths.

kgrove78

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Run with choke on - why? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

sounds like it needs rebuild i have done several holley carbs for customers and neighbors i use kits from napa or tsc some have been running for several years since. not overly complacated to do. and i use carb clean to look for vac leaks safer than starting fluid with same results. good luck.

DaveH IA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Run with choke on - why? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Also check for good fuel flow from tank-- and I think there is a filter on the fuel pump, Might not be getting fuel to the carb ?? just something else to check

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.