Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying 2950

View previous topic :: View next topic  
squaredt
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Buying 2950 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Im am looking to but a 2950. What things should I be looking for on this model. It has 5000 hours on it and seems clean and well maintained. It has a cab and everything on it works properly. Any ideas on price?

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Buying 2950 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would suggest getting test kits to check condition of coolant & oils.

B Woods
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying 2950 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

hydraulic systems are weak on those .i would look for something else. we bought one new and had nothing but trouble with it. just one opinion though.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying 2950 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pull the trans oil filter and trans oil screen. Any sign of fine sandy material. Run away.
Any plans for adding a loader or something?

keitb

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying 2950 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

my grandpa bought a 2950 with the cab new, never had any problems with it. used it on the dairy farm

ihman73
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Buying 2950 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have one with a 148 loader on it. We bought it with a 1000 hrs on it and now it has about 8700. It was used for feeding hay and loading a TMR wagon in addition to hay and pulling silage wagons when we milked. I would like to replace it with something else because it is just getting annoying trying to stay ahead of the little problems and oil leaks. The hi-low has also been somewhat of an issue, the first rebuild at 6000 hrs and has been rebuilt twice since and both times since we have quit milking and its workload has more than halved. My advice is stay with the Waterloo tractors (anything that starts with a 4 of that period 4x20,30,40,50,55) the utility series was made in Mannheim, Germany and they just don't share the same quality as the US made row crop tractors. We also had a 2955 for a time and it spent almost as much time in the shop as it did working. Our 4440 has almost as many hours and much less trouble.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying 2950 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would have been taking the tractor to a shop
that understood transmissions other than Waterloo
tractors. A re-re-build for the same problem is
treating the symptom rather than the cause. Odds
are they never even measured oil apply pressure.

ihman73
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying 2950 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The pressures checked out oddly enough. The parts were the problem and Genuine Deere no less. It always got out of warranty before something happened. But that doesn't excuse the other design flaws like the those little crooked steering lines that connect the hoses to the cylinders that rub on the tie rod no matter what you do with them and leak, maybe there is a secret but after 20 years of looking I haven't found it. I'm not trying to run it down out of hand but the initial design was poor and time hasn't improved it. It isn't a bad tractor to run but is so annoying to keep the little things fixed, ours is a rolling oil spill. It seems like when you get one issue fixed 5 more show up. It isn't age alone because I don't have that much trouble with other tractors older than it.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.