Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wd45 stroker crank question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
turbo560

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: wd45 stroker crank question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

curious what a crank would cost say 5 1/2''. What rod combination and cam would work best? What hp could you expect? Thanks!

wi50
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: wd45 stroker crank question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In some of these smaller engines I use a Farmall H or 350 rod that I do some clearance work on and countersink a different rod bolt. At 5 1/2 " stroke there is verry little block clearance work. The Farmall rods use a canted cap and are plenty strong.

Usually a carnk will cost $750-850 for one of these 4 cyl cranks for welding and grinding. Stroke length really doesn't make much difference as it's just a little more welding work.

I have billet rods made here and depending on the rod journal diameter and rod profile, cap angle etc. they will clear real well out to 6" stroke with verry little work. Any more and then there's just more clearance work to do.

I don't like to post to much cam information. But the profile really will depend on your cylinder head, rpm range and engine size. I see a lot with the same advertised duration but different lobe seperation angles and faster ramps depending on the engine combination.

WD45 blocks are not as asrong as later ones and that 5 1/2 stroke is a good range to be in with that crank and block. You can keep a good rod ratio there and not beat your parts up to bad.

It all depends on how much money you wish to spend. What piston you want to use, engine size, etc. The limeting power factor will alwayse be the head, manifold and carb. And of course your abilities to tune the engine.

I have a set of the billet rods and farmall ones ready at the shop. I'll take a picture and post after Christmas when I get back to work.

Last edited by wi50 on Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Ralphy3
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: wd45 stroker crank question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What's your contact info. I would like to get in touch about
getting parts and work done. Thanks

Lyle/Ruthie Adams

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: wd45 stroker crank question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

wi50 !
Do you do WD crankshaft Stroking and where are you located??
Thanks, Lyle

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Pulling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.