Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Digger use for food plots

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MRinMN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Digger use for food plots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here"s a new field I opened up in the alder brush, I"ll spread pelletized lime on it in the next few weeks, my question is, has anyone tried a 3-point digger in these kind of conditions? Its heavy soil with some rocks and brush roots. I know if I run the disc over it several times it will loosen it up enough for seed. Just wondering if its worth the trip of bringing the digger up north, bought one for 75 bucks 10 years ago, have only used it in my garden at home once, but my soil there is rock and root free.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Digger use for food plots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

3 point digger???????????????? What the heck you talking about??? A plow or a tiller or what??? Hard to answer a question when it opens many other questions as to what your talking about.

CJ in Michigan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Digger use for food plots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

3 point backhoe?

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Digger use for food plots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

See your not sure either.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Digger use for food plots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm assuming he means a 3 pt cultivator.
Often called a digger or even a sometimes quacker.
MR,
Yes a digger would be an effective tool for that type of use.
Better actually than a plow as I suspect the plow would hang up a lot on roots.
Best would be to have an 8N or other tractor with position control so you set the height of the shovels and make several passes - each one progressively deeper.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Digger use for food plots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know what you mean by a digger. I am really old, not a youngster like that whipper snapper Old. The big thing is that you will be catching more roots than you can believe. It will enable you to get a lot of roots pulled out and put on a burn pile but not with out plenty of work.

russb wa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Digger use for food plots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Must be talking about some sort of root crop if it is for harvest time.

I have heard of a Middle Buster being called a Potato Plow and it is used for planting and harvesting. There have been lots of more fancy and efficient harvesting tools, but each crop is a little different. Inquiring minds want to know.

Jimmyjack
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Digger use for food plots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

a quackdigger might get the job done, but it will be a chore. The more you go the better it will get. The first run might be agony. In conjunction with a disc you might get a reasonable seed bed.

Buss
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Digger use for food plots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it is going to be a food plot for deer, I would just level it the best I could and then keep it mowed for a few years. Then if needed you could spray with a contact agent and disc your seed bed.

ZANE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Digger use for food plots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pitsburg mfg called them a "field cultivator" I think.

Zane

Kirk-NJ
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Digger use for food plots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you are talking about the field cultivator, I have used it on deer food plots. The rails on mine are 7' and I adjust the cultivators as tight as they will go. It roughts up the soil good enough to get the seed down even in the rocky areas. I have also used the box blade with scarifies which work well.

Kirk

jackinok
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Digger use for food plots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

IF i personally was breaking a place out that was full of roots to actually plant, i would look for something like a subsoiler to tear up the roots first,then go in with a field cultivator or the like to rake the roots out. of course simply mowing down standing timber or mature brush type plants makes a mighty good food plot by itself, simply because the deer will browse the new growth.

MRinMN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Digger use for food plots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Digger, as in a piece of 3-point equipment that is about 7 feet wide, has about 10 or 12 curved blades about 18 inches long. Some have a single disc in the center. Digger! What do you call it? Thats what the farmers around me when I was young called them, most were on wheels with a hydraulic cylinder to raise and lower.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Digger use for food plots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What you describe I still have no idea what your talking about but maybe something used up in MN that is not used down here in Missouri and it has been to many decades since I was up in MN to be able to picture it

MRinMN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Digger use for food plots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here's another term. Looking at the picture of the tree left in the middle of the field, when I was a kid deer hunting I heard a old fellow call one like that a "school marm tree". I asked "why do you call it that?" They just laughed. A few years later while walking through the woods I saw another one, it finally dawned on me, and I had a good laugh.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.