Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

pistol jamming.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
willys53allis
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: pistol jamming. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got a ruger p90 that i've probably easily put 1000+ rounds through. As of late the slide won't close all the way when shooting. Is it the recoil spring or something else thats worn out?? You can usually push it closed with your thumb.

hankv

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: pistol jamming. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

try cleaning it. you might have carbon in it not letting the slide go forward

RayP(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: pistol jamming. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That was going to be my first recommendation - good cleaning, followed by good lubrication.

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: pistol jamming. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They have it right. An automatic pistol needs to be cleaned very regularly. The worse the weather the more often the need for cleaning. Some types of ammo are worse than others as far as deposits.

Look on line there are instructions on completely dis-assembling your gun for cleaning. Just Google the brand and model. Youtube has videos too.

I have a CCP. The pistol I carry gets cleaned weekly even if I do not fire it. You would be surprised at the crap that gets in it just carrying it around in a dirty/dusty environment.

You do not want to have a gun that jams when you really need it. If it jams it is nothing but a small club.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: pistol jamming. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

More than likely the gun needs cleaning but sometimes the ammo can cause the gun to jamb. I'm wondering if you changed ammo recently and if you are using new factory ammo or reloads. I've gotten reloaded ammo that wasn't sized correctly and wouldn't chamber at all.

willys53allis
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: pistol jamming. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry i guess i should have mentioned i clean it everytime i get home from the range, so cleaning isn't the problem. The last time i went to the range it started jamming after about 20 rounds, i stripped it, cleaned it real good, then got about 5 rounds out before it started jamming. Not reloads, some of it worked fine so it leads me to beleive it's the gun. It used to shoot whatever ammo i had. Guess i'll just spend $10 on a recoil spring and see what happens.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: pistol jamming. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You say you clean it but do you get it all as it should be and then do you also lube it after cleaning. As for reloads what is wrong with shooting them?? I hunt with reloads and reload lots of rounds and have had little if any problems with them as a matter of fact have less problem with them then what I buy

d beatty

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: pistol jamming. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

From what I can find it sounds like the recoil spring is getting weak.

jacksun65
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: pistol jamming. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

9mms seal on the case mouth so they have a tight fit. remove the barrel and fill with something like cop out or no9 and let it sit overnight. If you have only put 1000 rds through it its barely broke in.

Dean Olson
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: pistol jamming. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I vote for a better cleaning than you've been doing. It's either a dirty chamber or oversize case.

I use a chamber brush on an electric drill.

If it's the ammo, have you changed brands, lots, reloads???

KIP in MX
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: pistol jamming. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe not your problem, but back in '87 or so I built up an AR-15 carbine. I would jam often enough that I was ready to get rid of it. Checked headspacing and all and didn't matter what ammo I used. Went out shooting one day with BIL and used one of his magazines and it didn't jam! All of the used surplus magazines I bought were worn/warped enough to give me fits.

If all else fails after you've followed these other guys advise on cleaning and the spring, try a different magazine.

John in MD
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: pistol jamming. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Call Ruger customer service @ 603-865-2442(NH)or 928-541-8892(Az).Ruger has great customer service people, tell them your problem.

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: pistol jamming. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Remove the barrel and turn it muzzle-down. Drop one of your loaded rounds into the chamber. If it doesn't fall all the way into the chamber, you've found your problem: Either the chamber is dirty or your ammo is oversize. (The latter is a common problem with handloads.)

RayP(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: pistol jamming. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Old, I sure have no problems with reloads. Practically everything I shoot is reloads. That said, wife bought a handgun about a year ago. Sales personnel were very definite that she should never shoot reloads in ANYTHING. They have an in store range, and forbid reloads... Apparently they have had some bad experiences. And claim manufactures don't endorse reloads. Note that there's a magazine of reloads in the gun right now! That said, we are extremely careful with reloading, and are very confident they will fit/work, and are engineered for the particular arm. (Something the big loader/manufacturers can't do.)

jackinok
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: pistol jamming. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i agree with some of the others, magazine can make a huge difference sometimes. thats where i generaly look first for a feed problem.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters