Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ether

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
UP Oliver
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Ether Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does anyone use ether to help with starting their Oliver? I see a warning label on my 1755; to not use ether with the manifold/preheater.

I know the previous owner used ether, I have not. I do use ether on my Allis Chalmbers loader. I had the block heater going for 3 hours the other day and still needed a shot of ether to get it going.

I could use a little information on when to use ether and when not to. Also, what are the reasons to avoid using it.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas.

retired farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ether Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What they mean is: if you use ether, Do Not use the preheater at the same time. If you use the preheater, Do Not use ether at the same time. Use one or the other, but not both at the same time. The heater will cause the ether to explode before it reaches the cylinder.

UP Oliver
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ether Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks. I realized the preheater and the ether is a bad combination, but is there any other concern with using ether?

rocko
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ether Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you can avoid it. If you have to your engine is probably getting loose. Used excessifly it can cause damage to your engine, break rings for example. Thats my opinion for what its worth. In other words my 2 cents. Rocko.

rocko
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Ether Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Should have added that if you must use it try to have engine turning over when you spray ether into intake not before and then cranking engine. Again 2 cents worth. Rocko.

d beatty

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Ether Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You have to be carefull not to use to much ether because you can ether lock a diesel engine if you use to much ether,

Baelee05
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Ether Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ether makes for a more violent explosion inside your engine upon combustion. The mistake most people make is using too much. In most cases a very very quick sniff is all that is necessary. If you need to use more your engine is getting tired and a tired engine is just waiting for an excuse to come apart. Too much ether will give it that excuse. Personally, with the 310 that your 1755 has, I would be real hesitant to use much if any ether. Find out why it won't start. Start with the preheater and make sure it is working.

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Ether Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Most of the "starting fluid" we can get today has only a very small amount of ether in it, if any at all...

Seems to me like the stuff without the ether would be less harmful to the engine. True?

sdc eastern ia
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Ether Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know of one guy that uses wd40 instead of ether. I have no idea why this works comments please.

G1355
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Ether Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't. Think it would work, because wd40 really isn't flammable, you can spray it and it won't ignite like either, probebly doesn't help any with starting the tractor.

CH in Iowa
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Ether Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would highly recommend to NOT use ether with a 310. If the pre-heater is working properly, it will create enough heat to get the tractor started. Never used either on my 1855 and not going start.

duane o.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Ether Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Either if the pre heater is working can cause a manifold explosion blowing the manifold apart and causing all sorts of carnage. If you are using ether disconect the preheater. The old wd40 use to use propane as a propelent and since its a lubricant it worked good as a starting aid. Not any more though. Sounds like your preheater element is burnt out if it wont start with block heater. Hope this helps. Duane.

rrman61
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ether Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Heard some one say one time they used gas on a clean rag held up to the air intake to aid in starting when cold.Anyone hear of this{not recmmending it just asking]?Also I bet it was with pure gas[not ethanol].

craigco
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ether Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ether also acts as a solvent, to much washes the oil away on the top end and will ruin your rings. Then you have a smoking engine.

e
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Ether Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The topic of ether usually brings out folks who state that using it will totally trash your engine. When used sensibly, that is completely unfounded advice. When you get into engines that are 8-9L and larger, the number of engines that used preheaters start to dwindle pretty fast. It takes a tremendous amount of energy to heat up enough air to make a difference for engines that large. Ether is the cold weather starting aid of choice for most engine manufacturers of large displacement (there have been millions and millions of engines built which were equipped with ether start from the factory).

What is being done today is an integrated solution using ether. There are a number of engines that monitor crank speed after start up and will inject ether while the engine is running if crank speed drops below a certain threshold or begins to osculate. This is done for idle stability and white smoke clean up.

But back to your oliver....as other have stated use ether or preheat, but not both.

If your preheater is weak or not working, an option would be to look up the ether kit used on the CaseIH Maxxum series (5140, ect.) You'll need to put an 1/8 npt port for the nozzle somewhere at the entrance to the manifold. Ether is nice since it makes for quick starts and won't drain a weak battery even before you crank the engine over.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.