Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Attaching (Side) Hood Emblems?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Bowman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Attaching (Side) Hood Emblems? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Santa brought me a set of (repro) Ferguson side hood emblems for my TO-20, and I was a little surprised that the three (3) posts on the back weren't threaded/tapped for nuts/screws - the emblems just came with three little round clips, kinda like speed nuts, that just push on to the posts. (The front emblem is held on with screws.)

Is that a secure enough attachment for the side emblems, with the vibration of the hood, etc?

I'm not ready to install them yet (not until after painting), but I was thinking about a couple of globs of silicone on the back of the emblems, to help hold them on?

Jason S.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Attaching (Side) Hood Emblems? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Barrel nuts have been used for years to hold emblems on
tractors and cars and trucks both. If you want a little extra
security you could always attach some 3M two sided tape to
the emblem in between the posts for the barrel nuts.

Charles in Aus.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Attaching (Side) Hood Emblems? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use the clips as well as non ascetic / neutral
cure silicon . It is really disheartening to find
one missing when returning from the paddock ,
knowing full well that it is probably buried under
some sod or pile of grass for the next twenty
years.
For some reason the right hand ones fall off more
often . Vibration or heat from the manifold ? [ at
least on TE 20's ]. Make sure the silicon compound
is suitable for plumbing purposes , glazing or
masonry compounds will corrode the metal.

to30to35mf35also

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Attaching (Side) Hood Emblems? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

drill a small hole put a cotter pin in them

samn40
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Attaching (Side) Hood Emblems? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Windscreen adhesive is very good but messy, If it will bond smooth
and heavy glass to painted car bodywork or even modern tractor
door frames then it will hold metal badges.
Sam

Tom Bowman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Attaching (Side) Hood Emblems? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks to all.

Charles: is neutral cure silicone an automotive product or a construction product? I'm not familiar with it by that name, and I didn't know where to look for it.

Charles in Aus.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Attaching (Side) Hood Emblems? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tom , it is found in both auto and construction
fields. Best to go to a major bulk hardware to buy
it as it should be cheaper from them. Neutral cure
silicon compounds or caulking compounds are used
on metal surfaces ,typically roofing iron. Ascetic
cure silicon is used for masonry and glazing
applications , the acid in it etches the surface
and provides a key for the sealant , that same
acid will literally eat metal away so it is
important to get the right sort. Cheapest is fine
, I have never found much difference in the more
expensive sorts.

john[mo]
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Attaching (Side) Hood Emblems? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i believe that if you go buy the correct size speed nut they will thread onto the posts creating the threads. thats how i did mine.

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/OER-11502547.jpg

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.