Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

best age enhanced (old) combine

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CORNKING
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: best age enhanced (old) combine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am a small (100 acre) Bean/Corn farmer . I want to start harvesting/shelling my own crop.I want an age enhanced (old) combine.I want to be sure it"s the right one. I"m told the Massey"s were great,but others say the old IH"s.EVERYONE say"s no JD"s. I"m a good mechanic and don"t mind being in the field.I"m a disabled Vet. and I have to convert foot pedals to levers.

sd pete
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: best age enhanced (old) combine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My vote is for any F series Gleaner.

CORNKING
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: best age enhanced (old) combine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

dependable? Do a I need a traveling parts hunter to repair? AGCO owns them now do they ask for your first born child for oem parts like JD ?

todd Hamilton

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: best age enhanced (old) combine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jd 4420 or 6620 hydro all levers only pedals are brakes

CORNKING
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: best age enhanced (old) combine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A few people have said the 4420 would be perfect...They scare me cuz I'm not "rich".JD is really proud of their parts !haha!!!a neighbor said we'd only have alter the pedal the same way it's done on my pick-up.

Mike Aylward
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: best age enhanced (old) combine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would think you would want some kind of hydrostatic drive machine to be easier to run. While the John Deere 4420 combine is a good machine they were only available in gear drive. You would have to go to the larger combines to get a hydrostatic drive. These larger combines are also easier to get in and out of do to having a "staircase" rather than a straight ladder. As far as parts prices go, all brands are pricey now, not just John Deere. Used and aftermarket parts are still plentiful for these machines as well. Others will have different favorites than I have and can tell you the availability of parts for those machines. Mike

Averyman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: best age enhanced (old) combine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Agree with SD Pete. A Gleaner F-3 Hydro would fit the bill nicely. Dependable and easy to work on, uses standard easily obtainable bearings and chains and belts will last nearly forever. As for parts, all makes are expensive now but there are many good parts in salvage yards.

JD Jim
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: best age enhanced (old) combine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Virtually any hydro machine would work well. Never use brakes on a hydro. Not sure what your limitations are but less mods would be better than more. I would think small gleaner hydro would be perfect. However, I am partial to JD machines. Good luck with your search.

Dalet
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: best age enhanced (old) combine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Deere parts may be expensive, but you can have them tomorrow, if by some chance they aren't in stock right now.
AGCO? I don't know. I don't own any of their brands. The closest dealer is 50 miles away.

CORNKING
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: best age enhanced (old) combine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't have the cash for newer combine(hydrostatic) and don't want be on my knees every year praying I can make a combine payment.

todd Hamilton

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: best age enhanced (old) combine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My bad I thought 4420 was offered in hydro neighbors had one, cousin had 6620 hydro

CORNKING
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: best age enhanced (old) combine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think you guys nailed it....I've been reading about the "F's" today as you suggested...they are mechanic/user freindly and farmers that had em really loved them.

CORNKING
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: best age enhanced (old) combine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JD makes very fine equipment it's just I had a 4020 eat my lunch...bad one maybe...but good parts killed me......FYI..I lost my legs....I love to farm and I don't like taking your tax money.

Erik Ks farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: best age enhanced (old) combine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you for you service. As to parts, I farm with Deere, Case IH, New Holland and Massey Ferguson (AGCO) in my opinion you aren't going to see much difference in parts prices in any of them anymore. For your goals an F2 Gleaner or a 550 MF with hydrostat would be good choices. A guy can run a 13' to 15' platform in beans and a 4 row cornhead and get a 100 acres done in 2 or 3 days with good trucking.

CORNKING
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: best age enhanced (old) combine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thankyou VERY much all of you , from what I've read today and your inputs , the gleaner is the ticket. A friend of mine has the MF550 (for show).He's concerned about a few "quirks" Massey has if I had trouble in the field (belts mainly).I'm gonna drive to PA. next week ,there's 1 F2 and 2 F3's for sale. Thanx again ALL of you...Mike

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.