Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Radial or Bias tires for cargo trailer

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve-Maine
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Radial or Bias tires for cargo trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to order an enclosed trailer to haul my antique cars. Is it worth the extra money to buy radial tires ??? I'll probably only use it 4 or 5 times a yaer. Thanks for any help

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Radial or Bias tires for cargo trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bias tires did not know you could still buy those for any thing other then tractors and the like. I would go with Radials no matter what they stand up better and longer and they will also save $$ on fuel

JF in CT
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Radial or Bias tires for cargo trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

About 20 years ago we put radial tires on a horse trailer we had. I noticed it no longer had a tendency to "jump or wag" when changing lanes on the highway when crossing the grove in the concrete.

Jim in Ma.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Radial or Bias tires for cargo trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't think it matters much. The one thing you could do is get some wheel covers to keep the sun off the tires. I got a set from a camper supply store.

60 acre hillside
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Radial or Bias tires for cargo trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I doubt if bias will be cheaper but I would much prefer bias. Radial offers three qualities each not needed with a trailer. They ride smoother, You do not need this. They get better traction. Again you do not need this because if it is a tandem they need to slip sideways in a bend, In fact a radial can grip the pavement so well that it can loosen from the rim. They wear better. Wear is not a consideration for a trailer tire used infrequently, Also a bias has a stronger sidewall.

I would pay a premium for bias.

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Radial or Bias tires for cargo trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A radial rolls easier and rides smoother. For what it's worth, A few monts ago I put new tires on a trailer with tandem singles and the tire shop said they have better luck with radial pickup tires on trailers. Jim

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Radial or Bias tires for cargo trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BIAS trailer tires are not worth a flanegin _______.
Wether you use it once a year or every day the radial will pay you over and over. Radial will also cost you about 30% more.
I"ve seen bias trailer tires peel apart in less than 500 miles use. Smaller ones simply blow out... Never again will I own one.

Rod

RayP(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Radial or Bias tires for cargo trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have a 6x10 foot cargo trailer - came with TRAILER radials. Not commonly available, had to buy a conventional bias ply for a spare. (new on rim.) As far as the advantages/disadvantages, can't see much difference.

sotxbill
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Radial or Bias tires for cargo trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

most folks will dry rot the tires in most cases..
so unless you the trailer tires that have the UV resistance sidewalls... cheap tires that give you the correct weight rating will do fine. Radials are probably more availible.

Tires should be replace at 6 years for extra heavy work, and 10 years max for light duty due to dry rot.

Welding man
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Radial or Bias tires for cargo trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A lot of people don't realize that a 14,000 GVW trailer may not be able to carry that much due to the weight rating on the tires. When I replaced the tires on my flatbed gooseneck trailer I could not find 4 radial tires that would add up to 14,000# . I found 4 -12 Ply Bias that put me to 15,000#. I don't do a lot of long distance travel but I do haul heavy.

BTW-Id
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Radial or Bias tires for cargo trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a tractor business and I haul my tractor on a tandem axle trailer almost everyday.
I also have a tandem axle travel trailer. When researching tires to replace the tires that threw their tread on the travel trailer I found out that you want to use 'trailer' tires on tandem axle trailers because the sidewalls are stouter so that they can take the side scrubbing action when turning a corner or backing and jackknifing the trailer. I live in Idaho and trailer tires appear to be common here. Good luck with your project.

Last edited by BTW-Id on Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
S2710
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Radial or Bias tires for cargo trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Son had a set of bias on his camper and going down the hiway the camper was darting all over the place. He put new radials on it stayes behind the truck and he gained 11/2 miles per gal.

Bob

Pops1532
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Radial or Bias tires for cargo trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've had 6 trailers in the last 30 some years. All but one had bias ply tires. Of all the bias ply tires on all those trailers I had one tire failure. Some of those bias ply tires were in service for a very long time.
I never had a problem with the way any trailer has ridden or tracked.
The one trailer with radial tires had two tires fail. I didn't buy into the radial trailer tires only lasting 6 years. Now I know better now. My radial trailer tires (including the 2 new tires) will soon be replaced with bias ply tires.
You couldn't give me another radial trailer tire!

Determined
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Radial or Bias tires for cargo trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Big gooseneck stock trailer no difference with bias or radial except 10 ply truck tires were cheaper to replace than 10 ply bias trailer tires, gross weight 32 000 lbs behind a dually.
Smaller 2 horse tandem trailer I would not go on a 100 mile trip without two spares and usually used one. Axles very close togother, make a turn on pavement and roll the bias tires off the rims.
Put radials on 7 years ago and have only changed one tire due to a chunk of steel in the sidewall.
Single axle boat trailer radials smoothed out the ride enough that I don't break windshields anymore [yet]
Dave

MSD
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Radial or Bias tires for cargo trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I run 10 ply used tires from my pickup on my trailer. Rated for 3400 lbs each tire.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.