Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E-bay last second bid jump

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edd in KY
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: E-bay last second bid jump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Missed a couple items the last second. Some were small bumps, some were big bumps.

How do they do that? What is the strategy? Where do they hold the last bid?

Do sellers have a last second reserve bid option?

JOCCO
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: E-bay last second bid jump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some people have a program called a snipe it puts a bid in in the last few seconds and no one (like you) has time to react. The idea is to help the bidder get it for a better price as if he bid against you early on that item you could have put another hundred on it. BASICALLY EBAY AUCTIONARE DETERMINED IN THE LAST 10 SECONDS.

da.bees
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: E-bay last second bid jump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jocco wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:27:51 12/26/12) Some people have a program called a snipe it puts a bid in in the last few seconds and no one (like you) has time to react. The idea is to help the bidder get it for a better price as if he bid against you early on that item you could have put another hundred on it. BASICALLY EBAY AUCTIONARE DETERMINED IN THE LAST 10 SECONDS.

I don't understand why that gives an advantage over summiting your high bid at the onset. You do understand your bid will only increase by predetemined amounts until your max is reached?

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: E-bay last second bid jump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with Jocko, people either use some program or manually throw a bid out there in the last seconds.

Sometimes it does seem if you bid "early-on", then the bidding war gets out of control. We don't bid in the last seconds... but we do tend to wait until nearer the end of the auction to see if the item has remained in a range where we are still interested in bidding on it.

Gambles
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: E-bay last second bid jump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've won a lot of items by getting my bid in in the last couple of seconds. I use no other programs to do my bidding, I just bid whenever I feel it is time to bid. Basically, I bid one time for the highest amount that I will pay. If my bid is way over the current competitor's bid, it will be only one bid over his price, not my highest bid. Of course, I always look at the other bids before hand. Usually, you can tell if there are some shill bids by the person owning the item you want.

Zachary Hoyt
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: E-bay last second bid jump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Often when I win an auction it is in the last 10 seconds of bidding. If the item is competitive and has had a lot of bids I usually do not bid till the end. Most ebay bidders only up the ante by a few dollars at a time, so by bidding my high bid at the end I am more likely to get it than if I put up my bid earlier and give people time to make 15 bids at $2 increments. What really ticks me off as a seller is when something of mine has had one bid for several days at $50, for example, and then someone else jumps in at the end and wins it for $51 AND THEN DOES NOT PAY FOR IT....... That makes me very grumpy when it happens, but it does not happen too often. It is a funny place for sure but I have been able to sell tractor parts on there that had been on my shelf for years, so it is worth the hassle to me.
Zach

Dave Sherburne NY
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: E-bay last second bid jump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There are still people who think Ebay is like a regular auction where one person bids and another raises the bid back and forth. That's why people wait til the last minute to bid. If you bid like a regular auction and you think you have it for a low price but willing to bid more, when it gets down to the last second you lose because you don't get another chance. There are websites that extend the time to bid if there is a bid made in the last few minutes.

Wile E
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: E-bay last second bid jump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had that happen a couple of times.

What I did is learn that talking to a person always helps. Instead of bidding on the item I called them and asked them specifically, "can I pay you "X" amount for the item, they said yes, it will be an addtional $10 for shipping I then say ok here is the address. You have to sound serious and not wishy washy on the phone. I was dealing with a business, not an individual selling an item.

Errin OH
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: E-bay last second bid jump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am a last minute'r. Basically it does two things

1) Keeps me from doing something stupid like coming back and bidding more.
2) Out bids the stupid.

Yes I know how it works, but there are many who don't. I have seen folks make 50 separate bids trying to find someone else’s max. I only bid once at the end and eliminate the idiot who keeps bidding a dollar more, a dollar more, a dollar more…...

da.bees
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: E-bay last second bid jump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So the whole thing has to do with all bidders waiting until the last minute to bid but I still don't understand how youall determine wherther a previous bidder placed a "max bid" or wherther they are using a "program" or some other unfair method to bid.

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: E-bay last second bid jump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

With automatic bidding where you have entered your absolute highest bid and you get outbid by a few bucks etc (from your previous then highest bid even it wasnt your absolute highest) E Bay instantly and automatically enters your new higher bid,,,,That way you could still win it even if another bidder outbid your prior bid PIECE OF CAKE

While you cant know or predict how to overcome that in cases where its real bidders who arent on the automatic system I MAKE MY LAST ONLY AND FINAL BID IN THE LAST FEW SECOND OR SECONDS that way if theres another real non automatric dude he dont have time to react wooooooo hooooo Ive boght and sold a bunch on Flea bay and had all good expereinces so far at least lol

John T

notjustair
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: E-bay last second bid jump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is a free website called Bid Sniper. You put in the information and it throws in your bid in the last second of the auction. I used to use it every time when I bought lots of stuff on fleabay. If you want to bid on several things at once then you pay for an upgrade membership.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: E-bay last second bid jump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Partly true but I wait until the last few seconds to put in my maximum bid so as to not 'show my hand' ahead of time.Sometimes other bidders can be lulled into thinking an item will bring far less than it will by a couple low ball bids a day or two out.Say I'm willing to go $500 Max on an item I might hit it a couple times at a $10 over the last bid just ot look like I'm getting close to my maximum even if its only a $100 but my last bid in the final seconds will be a little over $500 of course if someone else does the same thing and will go $600 I'm and thats fine.Just make sure your final bid is the absolute maximum you want to pay not just how much you think it might bring jusging by the bids already made.

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: E-bay last second bid jump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

da.bees,

If it can be determined, I don't know how to tell if someone is using bidding software or has just entered a max bid.

But one can click the "bids" link to see the bidding history and see the increments that bids "raise" until you have topped it. But I for sure, cannot tell if it is due to bidding software - or it is just that they have entered their "max" bid so ebay is increasing it in increments.

Walt Davies
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: E-bay last second bid jump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you want it real bad the set your bid way above what it's worth. The other guy will bid up to what he thinks it worth and not anymore. Nice thing is your high bid will only be one bid above his and not at your maximum. It pretty much garranteed your win but you could pay a little over what it's worth. Use this on items that really want at any cost. You set this max bid on your first bid and just sit ack and watch. EBay will do all the work for you. And if the other wants it bad enough he's going to pay, pay
Walt

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.