Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sick Cow

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nice
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Sick Cow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a sick Angus steer calf, he was diagnosed last week with pneumonia, and the vet gave him antibiotic + vitamins/pain killer to increase his appetite. He continues to get worse, light cough/wheezing, won't eat now for several days. That was the 2nd time we took him to the vet, a month ago he had a cold/slight fever, he's always been a little depressed acting. He won't eat but his stomach is very round. I can't figure out why he has such a "grass belly". I'd say he's getting close to the end. Is there a common digestive disorder/block that also fits these symptoms? Any ideas? If it is pneumonia then how long does it take for the shots to help out? Its been 7 days.

Tom-NoCenTX

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick Cow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Should have taken him back to vet already. Get him back in ASAP. Maybe vet can make a better diagnoses now. Sould like you will lose him without help. tom

RayP(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick Cow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hardware disease comes to mind. Based on those symptoms. Fairly easy to diagnose with a metal detector.... And a "cow magnet" down the hatch usually helps.

Dr. Walt
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick Cow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If he's not eating, but has a big ,round "grass belly", it sounds like he has Bloat. Something's blocking his digestive tract & the little that he has eaten is fermenting in his stomach and producing gas which is trapped in the stomach.

Get him back to the Vet NOW or you will lose him for sure.

bobbyboywestcentIN

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick Cow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

no house calls? i've never heard of hauling sick livestock to the vet. those trips and handling can't be helping him any.

Dalet
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick Cow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If its his first stomach bloating, you can put a trach tube down his throat and let it vent.
If that don't work, you will have to stab them in the side to relieve gas. I would either have the vet do it or if you want, have a veal calf butcher party and dissect the animal to see what the cause was. Depending on the size of the calf. If its less than 400lb it would be more of a science project than a freezer filling expedition.

I have butchered many deer as well, that weigh about what a calf does, but don't have the bone mass, so its a crap shoot.

samn40
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick Cow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It might just have swallowed a plastic bag and this has caused the blockage. The breathing problem could be from the bloating, compressing on the lungs.Ask the vet about a dose of liquid paraffin. Sometimes too much clover in the diet can have the same effect and the stomach may have to be 'stabbed' to relieve the gas.
Just some of the problems I faced as a dairy farmer, but do ask your vet as I can only make suggestions and I am not a vet!
Sam

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick Cow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Most of the Vets around me have facilities to work on large animals at their office. The advantage to them is they can do more timely work with the correct equipment. The advantage to the farmer is that you can get livestock looked at faster and cheaper than a farm visit. A farm call here is $75 just for the call.

Nebraska Cowman
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Sick Cow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The shots would have kicked in in 12 hours. A 2nd dose the next morning probably was in order. After 3 days any residual was out of his system. He"s on his own.

schultz47
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Sick Cow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had an Angus cow that had same symptoms. Vet came out, said she had a twisted stomach. We rolled her over and that did the trick! It happened again with her the next year, did it myself that time, no vet bill. Wouldn't hurt to try it on yours.

randallinMo
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Sick Cow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry to dampen your enthusiasm, but this calf sounds like a goner. He's probably had lung issues since a baby calf...the last treatment didn't do any good so it's not the time to be spending a bunch more via vet bills. Give him LA 200 according to directions....slight chance this might get him up and eating again. If he does respond, give him another round in 3 days. Some times some are just born to die sooner than others. Fact of livestock raising.

Bobl1958
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Sick Cow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with that JD but nothing more stressful on an animal than catching it, loading it and hauling it to the vet, where you then have to do the same thing all over again. Besides, $75.00 vs hooking up the trailer and hauling it is pretty cheap. If a person has livestock, they need to have the capabilities to hold and work them. ?Bob

Bobl1958
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Sick Cow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with that JD but nothing more stressful on an animal than catching it, loading it and hauling it to the vet, where you then have to do the same thing all over again. Besides, $75.00 vs hooking up the trailer and hauling it is pretty cheap. If a person has livestock, they need to have the capabilities to hold and work them. ?Bob

jackinok
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Sick Cow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

good vets are getting scarcer than hens teeth.you have two choices here,take him to the vet ,leave him, and spend more money than any four healthy ones will make you, or put him in the freezer. let this be learning experience,you can give that calf a shot as well as any vet, you can buy all the equipment AND the medicine for your whole herd ( AND YOU SHOULD GIVE YOUR WHOLE HERD A SHOT TODAY,RIGHT NOW, BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE,) for the cost of one trip to your vet. if that calfs sick,if any calfs sick,thats been with your other animals they all need doctoring. one five dollar shot can save you all the money you will make in a year. IF your so called vet didnt tell you this, your wasting time and money with him. my advice keep him as far from other animals as you can, dont put him in a barn where other animals go. if hes down either do whatever you have to to get him up,or roll him over every day. you dont cure pnemonia with one shot, you wasted money giving him shots to eat, if hes down he shouldnt eat much,it makes it worse. everything youve done has just cost you money and done no good. youve got a choice, dr him your self (just like you would a kid with a cold), or leave him at the vet and pay him too. I dont mean to sound cold or be hard on you, but a vet should be your last resort quite honestly, if your going to raise animals your going to lose one sometimes. and if your going to raise animals youll never make a dime paying a vet all your profits. vets dont make house calls anymore for one simple reason,all the info available on animals is readily available to everyone as well as the equipment to use it. they have lots at their offices because thats where your calf should be ,as far from your other cattle as possible.

JRSutton
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Sick Cow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd get a vet out there if you want to save the cow.

The stomach's probably been the problem all along.

Better to have the vet come to you - that cow's probably in a lot of pain with its stomach stretching out like that. Could be twisted, could be blocked. Do him the favor of not handling him too much.

If you want to push the issue, the vet might give you a break on price if they misdiagnosed it the first time.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.