Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

asphalt shingles or tin on old farm house

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy r

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: asphalt shingles or tin on old farm house Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Trying to figure out what I want to do next summer with an old farm house I own. This is a big, high, four bedrooms up and five rooms down house. The roof needs to be replaced. Presently it has ONE layer of wood shingles covered by ONE layer of asphalt, all over six inch boards with a slight gap between each. I don't live there. Might someday or I might rent it. Just an old house that needs alot of things. Foundation is ok, but limestone. Needs work on the siding, still OK. Probably needs window work too, but still functional. It is still a good house. Interior is very nice with a newer furnace and floor coverings. Trying to find the best reasonable repair for an old house.

Honestly, I know removing the old asphalt shingles, then the old wood shingles, and then putting down new solid sheathing is the right way for asphalt. Time and money.

I could put tin down on top of firring strips and a vapor barrior. Some people like tin, some people say tin is for barns not houses. I guess if it was the right color I would be OK with tin. This house gets alot of wind and I would be concerned about the tin. I really wonder how long tin will last on a house. Color wears off and then how many barns do you see that were tinned in the '70s and it is all ripped off by the wind.

I wonder if my best bet might be one more layer of a quality architectural grade shingle. Put on a new drip edge, throw any loose tabs off of the roof as you shingle upward, and just cover everything up. I might add that the roof it "old school" steep, so there is no problem with weight or sag. I wonder too since the roof is so steep that it might take shingles on shingles better than a newer style flatter roof might??

Lastly, I would like to do this myself. Asphalt would be the simplest for me, followed by firring strips and tin. I could do these two methods. I don't have the time or equipment to strip everything, re-sheet, and single. I would have to hire that done.

What you guy have done and/or any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dalet
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: asphalt shingles or tin on old farm house Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would find the time to strip it down to bare minimum. Wood and asphalt gone. Then fur it out and screw on new tin. Because that is what I did. I don't worry about the wind here in MN, the sun does more damage. My last lifetime shingles lasted 5 years. Makes me wonder what a lifetime actually is anymore.

casecollectorsc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: asphalt shingles or tin on old farm house Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There isn't any 20 year shingles anymore. I replaced shingles with tin about 7 years ago on my house. All the barns got steel also. Around here new construction houses all have steel roofs. Hidden fastner steel for residential houses is more exspensive than barn steel but is no more effective for the extra cost. I'd hope all the shingle manufactures end up going out of business after screwing the public the last 20 years.

Tim(nj)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: asphalt shingles or tin on old farm house Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here, you can't by code put another layer on that roof, it'd all have to come off anyway. Depending on where you are you may not have to deal with that. We do have a barn that has a layer of cedar shakes on lath under a layer of asphalt with a layer of aluminum on top of that, that has been on there since the 70s. Whoever did it did it right because no panels have come off, even in Irene or Sandy.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: asphalt shingles or tin on old farm house Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would use standing seam powder coated metal roof
The projected life is way longer than for asphalt. It is pretty fast to install, and sheds both water and snow very well. Wind is not an issue unless it is beyond being just a roof issue. Jim

oj
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: asphalt shingles or tin on old farm house Reply to specific post Reply with quote

we put tin on our farm house 3 summers ago, i'd do it again... if your in a snow area remember to use snow stops above the doors... don't ask me how i know Smile

JayinNY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: asphalt shingles or tin on old farm house Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd go with tin, you won't ever be doing it again! I just did tin on my barn last year, we'll see how long it last, vs the shingles I put on my house in 2008.??

retired farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: asphalt shingles or tin on old farm house Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am not impressed with the new shingles. I see a lot of new houses around here where I am at with missing shingles from the wind. There are getting to be a few more with metal roofs. They look pretty nice if done right.

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: asphalt shingles or tin on old farm house Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Around here Central NY., Code enforcement will not let you apply more than two layers of roofing material. Also if applying steel roofing some local jurisdictions allow furing over one layer of shingles with 5/4 min. furing, and others require complete tearoff, and a screwing surface of at least 1.5". We get heavy winter snows and the steel roofs shed the snow, where shingles do not. Most all new roofs installed in rural areas around me are steel. I was a general contractor for 10yrs.until I retired, and have reroofed many houses and barns, and built lots of ag pole type and light commercial all steel buildings, so I'm a bit partcial to steel.
Loren, the Acg.

Walt Davies
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: asphalt shingles or tin on old farm house Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My barn had tin put on in 1959 still doesn't leak but sweats because it's open.
Walt

JayinNY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: asphalt shingles or tin on old farm house Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And don't forget lightining rods! I think the code calls for a metal roof to be grounded too!????

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: asphalt shingles or tin on old farm house Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A PS to my previous post. Make sure there is a sound moisture barrier below the furring. Temp differentials will cause extensive condensation under the steel. In a well insulated house the unconditioned air in the truss space needs to be tempered by proper insulation above heated spaces with vapor barrier so that the condensation point (temp diff) does not occure at the underside of the roof.
Loren, the Acg.

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: asphalt shingles or tin on old farm house Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jay,
You don't need lightning rods, but code does require an independent earth grounding connection. Good Point.
Loren

in-too-deep
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: asphalt shingles or tin on old farm house Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Steel. Have someone lay it for you, though. Do the furring yourself but hire the rest.

Mark-Mi
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: asphalt shingles or tin on old farm house Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A old timer near me long deceased told me he watched the hip roof barn being built across the road from him. The year was 1910. He told me the barn had the original steel roof on and it still does.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters