Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using old John Deere's 0n snow blowers

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan in Ohio
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Using old John Deere's 0n snow blowers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anyone using their old tractors (like my 70D) to run a show blower, or should I stick with my 80 rear blade and 45 loader with snow bucket. Trying to keep up with the neighbor (60"s era Case) with rear mount snow blower.

gtx1967jewison
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Using old John Deere's 0n snow blowers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why not? Well....
I would turn up the fuel & make sure it runs @ rated speed or slightly more. If your pto is good & blower is not huge it should work fine, but youll need live pto cuz the reverse is WAYYY too fast (lotsa clutch wear)

Dan in Ohio
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Using old John Deere's 0n snow blowers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good point, did not think about that fast reverse. Have never used the PTO on any of my old tractors. May have to look into putting one on this little guy.

Photobucket

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Using old John Deere's 0n snow blowers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Put one on the front of that one !!!! tire chains too and I'll bet you can run circles around that old 70 and your neighbor.

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Using old John Deere's 0n snow blowers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Snow blowers will eat all the power that you can give them. Backing up slipping the clutch while a steady flow of snow is going down your neck is not good. I have a Deere 7ft blower here that I have run on a 2510 diesel a few times in the past, snow much over knee deep was more than it wanted in low reverse,,and I looked like a snow man when I was done :^o

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Using old John Deere's 0n snow blowers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes Mike that little Hydrostatic would work out good, a blower on the front end is the better way, A couple years ago I was working on an idea to run mine on the front shaft of the 2510, was gonna make a drop case to get under the oil pan to get the power to it,,but the sun came out and the ideas went away with the snow...

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Using old John Deere's 0n snow blowers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think I saw on this site ? pictures where someone was mounting old 3 point snow blowers on the front end loaders ( or maybe just frt ends ) and running them with a hyd. motor driven from a pto pump.

Machinery-Man
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Using old John Deere's 0n snow blowers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

we normally don"t have that kind of snow in Western Ky however I would say the reverse issue plus you need to be sure you"re PTO clutch pack is up to snuff. Might want to check the ajustment. You cant get by with slippage there as you"ll heat or burn the pack out....this is a real factor on round balers and bushogs...but you"ll be using constant heavy torque. Give it a try....those old beast have a not of muscle....

NoDakInMN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Using old John Deere's 0n snow blowers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tim S wrote:
(reply to post at 11:06:59 12/27/12)

A 7 foot blower is a little much for a 2510 so that would account for knee deep snow overloading it. I run a 6 foot one an a 55 hp tractor and that is a pretty good match. Also, as one who has several hundred engine hours blowing snow here in MN, a handy tip is to point the front of the tractor into the wind and that will keep the snow from drifting onto the platform and turning you into a snowman. Sometimes it can't be helped, I know, but I do try to have wind work with me when possible.

BushogPapa
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Using old John Deere's 0n snow blowers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

m I agree with giving it a little "head-Room" of increased RPM...but, they don't pull down until there is way too much load in the 1st place...

If it were a 70 GAS, I would say..give it a Couple-a-hundred RPM increase...they do not have any head-Room to pull down at 975....

Ron..

BushogPapa
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Using old John Deere's 0n snow blowers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A Snow-Blower mounted on the front of an old self-propelled Combine looks like the best way, to me..would already have a Cab and the Blower would be mounted on the FRONT..!!!!
You could remove most of the rear sheetmetal and make it handy..

Ron..

algar
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Using old John Deere's 0n snow blowers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

absolutely on that,I have one on a old 322 hydro works great no slipping the clutch

Bodyman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Using old John Deere's 0n snow blowers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dan, I have moved tons of the white stuff with my JD 630 Tractor and 8 ft Loftness snow blower. Beats the heck out of stacking it in piles with a loader or a blade. That's my opinion anyway.

Pete76NY
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Using old John Deere's 0n snow blowers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The problem with a 70 on a snowblower (I have a 70 so I am not a hater) is like using a 2 stick A on a blower...they are geared high. Although that 630 is slightly less powered it is geared alot more appropriately for a blower...that having been said, if you stick to a 6 footer or under a good 70 should have plenty of poop for one

Pete76NY
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Using old John Deere's 0n snow blowers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The problem with a 70 on a snowblower (I have a 70 so I am not a hater) is like using a 2 stick A on a blower...they are geared high. Although that 630 is slightly less powered it is geared alot more appropriately for a blower...that having been said, if you stick to a 6 footer or under a good 70 should have plenty of poop for one

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.