Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M-H 22 - positive or negative ground?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam in Pa.
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: M-H 22 - positive or negative ground? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Took old dead battery out of my 22. Got new battery
but forget which is proper hook-up. It runs just
fine on negative ground,but is it right? What will
be harmed if hooked up backwards? Thanks, Sam

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: M-H 22 - positive or negative ground? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

it should be 6 volt pos. ground. just look at the cables as the pos is the larger batt post. the tractor dont care which way the batt is hooked up as it will run either way. but the ampmeter will show discharge if hooked backwards.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: M-H 22 - positive or negative ground? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Uf still 6 volts then it should be + ground but you never know since it could be set up backwards and the generator polarized for - ground. If converted to 12 volts you stand a 99% chance it is - ground and if you hook up the battery wrong you will let the smoke out of the alternator the moment you hook up the cables

ED.R.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: M-H 22 - positive or negative ground? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

EXPERIENCE TELLS ME THAT IT WILL BE POS GND, SOME AND PERHAPS ALL MASSEY HARRIS CAME WITH POS GND , AND MANY THE STARTER WILL NOT WORK WITH A NEG GND. OTHERWISE IT WILL WORK AND RUN JUST FINE

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: M-H 22 - positive or negative ground? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Never yet found a starter that cared if it was + or - ground, A starter motor is not the common DC motor and will spin the same way not matter how it is hooked up. So what starter off what machine does not work as I said??? I have done over 100 12 volt conversions and all had to be switched from + ground to - ground and All the starter worked just fine?? 5 plus where MH tractor by the way

Sam in Pa.
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: M-H 22 - positive or negative ground? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the info. It is converted to 12 volts. Thought that if I had the battery hooked up wrong that it might burn points quicker? Just a guess.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: M-H 22 - positive or negative ground? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

12 volts as in with an alternator???? If it has an alternator and you hook it up wrong the alternator will smoke and when I say smoke I do mean you will smell it the moment you hook it up wrong

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: M-H 22 - positive or negative ground? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

should have stated 12volt as thats totally diff than old 6v with generator. cant get correct advise when when dont have correct info.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: M-H 22 - positive or negative ground? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well that is a yes no and sort of thing. If you look at what I told him in the first place I covered them both as in if it has an alternator and you hook it up back wards you will let the smoke out the moment you do so. Just takes a lot more words to cover it all so yes the better the info a guy gives the easier it is for us to help him help him self LOL By the way just giving you a hard time and not being mean just being me and I do like to joke around from time to time and this is one of those times

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: M-H 22 - positive or negative ground? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take a look at the coil and see if the + or - terminals where hooked to the distributor. That SHOULD show you which way it was hooked. It will start and run either way, but not charge unless polarity is correct.

Will probably be + earth if generator, and - earth if alternator.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.