Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Opinion on new Craftsman socket sets?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dick2
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Opinion on new Craftsman socket sets? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I saw this morning that Costco has a 174-piece set of Craftsman sockets for $100, with lifetime warranty.

Has anyone bought Craftsman socket sets lately?

I have a good set of sockets now and wife is after me to not do anymore mechanic work at my age, so I really don't need a set - but it did get my attention.

the tractor vet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on new Craftsman socket sets? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nope , my set is fifty years old and i can only remember replacing one socket in all that time. They have to be the best set of sockets that i have eve bought and the first to be used . The 1 /2 in drive 9/16ths gets the toughest use of any of them as that is the socket that i use each and every time i have to split a 06-86 series I H tractor as there is one 12 point headed 5/8ths bolt that holds the speed transmission to the range transmission and at times i have had a three foot cheater on my long breaker bar to break that bolt loose , and it just keeps on taking it . I have broken Snap on , Mac, S&K, Matco and Proto sockets on that bolt but not the craftsman , go figure .

JOCCO
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on new Craftsman socket sets? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Beware they do have cheap stuff i see some of there 3/4 are just like china made tool sale ones. Some are still good.

G1355
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on new Craftsman socket sets? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There good sockets, but would spend the extra money and buy the snap-on they have a lifetime warranty to and there a better socket, my opinion anyways

Gambles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on new Craftsman socket sets? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Make sure you inspect them before you buy them and I'd make sure they are still American made. If you break them, they may also replace your American-made tool with a Chinese-made tool. Craftsman is making more and more of their tools in China. I've got a few of them lately as stocking stuffers. It will be interesting who picks up the Craftsman name if Sears goes belly up. It will also be interesting if the new buyer can keep the lifetime warranty.

Butch(OH)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on new Craftsman socket sets? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought the 255 piece socket set when they were giving them away for around 60% off before Thanksgiving. They are not what they used to be for sure. I took close to 20 sockets and 2 ratchets back to be replaced and handed the new 3/8 back to the guy at the store as it was worse than the first one, they flip directions at will. All were chearfully replaced. Personaly I wish Sears would add 50% to the price and sell a good tool but Im not holding my breath for that to happen.

Wile E
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on new Craftsman socket sets? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is imported junk for that price.
Crapsman is made in Taiwan or China now.
You get what you pay for.

BT in NE
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on new Craftsman socket sets? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have several sets of Craftsman and Snap-On sockets, I have broke some of each. The main difference for me is I can drive to Sears and get it replaced right now without any trouble, the Snap-On ones I have to wait for the dealer to come around and then listen to him tell me how I abused their tools before he replaces them. BT

Lanse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on new Craftsman socket sets? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got a few of the new Taiwanese Kobalts that are pretty nice.
video1

CH(upstate,NY)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on new Craftsman socket sets? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got a 3/8 and 1/2 ratchet to take back right now. They didn't last long. Sure, you can take them back but to have one break in the middle of a job. Not worth it.

Pops1532
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on new Craftsman socket sets? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The new Chinese Craftsman tools don't compare with the old Craftsman tools from back in the day.
At $100 they have to be Chinese. If I were in the market for a socket set in that price range I'd be looking for an older set of Craftsman, SK or other quality brands.

WGM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on new Craftsman socket sets? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not true

Thompson Mike
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on new Craftsman socket sets? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have two of those sets and think they are great for the money. I have broke and worn out snap-on, matco and Mac ratchets. I got sick of paying all that extra money for tool no better than a sears. I have a completely worn out matco ratchet now that they will not replace because it wore out not broken. For a part time mechanic they are fine

t.r.k.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on new Craftsman socket sets? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Been using Craftsman sockets full time as a mechanic for the last 4-1/2 years.

I just replaced both of my 1/2" 3/8 12 point sockets with the 'chinese' replacements. Didn't really have a choice, the old ones were so worn they would slip on fairly good bolt heads.

I don't have anything against them. Except that its a 1/2 hr. drive to the nearest store.

I do keep a spare 1/4 and 3/8 ratchet in my tool box for just in case, but its nearly 4 years old and the other one hasn't started slipping yet.

I like the convenience of the tool truck coming by the shop every couple of weeks, and do buy from them occasionally, but cannot support those guys like they would like for me to.

Pops1532
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on new Craftsman socket sets? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TRK do yourself a favor and get some Snap On ratchets. If they're too pricey for you get some SK ratchets. Graingers sells them.
I was in the tool department at Sears a few days ago. Nearly all of the Craftsman tools are imported from China now according to the department manager.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters