Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bearing noise 484 IH

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martin Reece
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Bearing noise 484 IH Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good day all,
I was snow blowing this morning with my 484 IH. I noticed a loud grinding noise like a bad bearing inside the rear end at the pto shaft. It would only happen when the snowblower was lowered all the way down. If I raised it so the pto shaft was straight it would go away. I thought it was the snowblower at first, but it definitely was coming from inside the rear end.. Can the pto shaft bearings be replaced from the back of the tractor or does it need to be split. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks Martin

JimB2
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bearing noise 484 IH Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Martin,
I looked in my I&T manual and it does not give any instructions about replacing 540 RPM PTO bearing only how to replace the complete shaft. IIRC neighbour changed PTO bearing on his 4210 from the rear.
Before tearing it apart, I would check the bearing by using an old broom handle held against the bearing cover and the other end against your ear and listen for the squealing noise. BECAREFUL NOT to get tangled up in the PTO.

JimB

9598Farmallred
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Bearing noise 484 IH Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Martin Reece wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:22:29 12/27/12) Good day all,
I was snow blowing this morning with my 484 IH. I noticed a loud grinding noise like a bad bearing inside the rear end at the pto shaft. It would only happen when the snowblower was lowered all the way down. If I raised it so the pto shaft was straight it would go away. I thought it was the snowblower at first, but it definitely was coming from inside the rear end.. Can the pto shaft bearings be replaced from the back of the tractor or does it need to be split. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks Martin
Martin, yes you can replace the bearings without splitting tractor all you need to do is remove rockshaft cover there is a snap ring behind the gear you will need to remove, also the seal & rear brg. retainer, check the inner brg. bore in the rear end housing as these brg,s would fail and eat the bearing bore away this can also be repaired fairly easily by a machine shop without further disassembly. I hope this helps Andy.

Martin Reece
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Bearing noise 484 IH Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You guys are great!
Thanks , Martin

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.