Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

saturn fuel pump follow-up.....crappy parts/mechanic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DENNIS MIN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: saturn fuel pump follow-up.....crappy parts/mechanic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All,

I blame myself. Fuse good, relay good, wiring to trunk checked good, timing of "off time" good, vltage good.

I proceed to find the fuel filter and combination pressure regulator expensive, as well as the pump.

Why didn;t the parts folks tell me there was a "sock" and an additional input filter? Old ones were dark with matter.

2 trips later, I have it all installed. It did NOT work.

Took the tank off the car again, had the missus blessedly hold the multimeter on the fuel pump connector at the tank, no volts.

Began wiring harness disection, found a single chafed wire, guess which one?!

Rant over, got wires to fix now.

Humbled by corrosion and nicked insulation,

D.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: saturn fuel pump follow-up.....crappy parts/mechanic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had something like that happen on a 1990 Geo Tracker. But it was an ignition problem and believe it was the computer. $400 to have a rebuilt one which I tried. Did not fix. Send back the rebuilt computer got another one back still no go blowing ignition fuse. Found a wire under the manifold had gotten hot one time to many and shorted out on the block. Fix wire and move away from hot area and no more problems. Cost $400 to find a $1 fix and that was for the fuses

DENNIS MIN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: saturn fuel pump follow-up.....crappy parts/mechanic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Old,

I guess there's few that'd admit to spending too much to find an inexpensive issue.

I feel a little sick about how much I have spent and worked to find this. I know better.

Apparently I am nearly alone in this dilema.

D.

Wires being fixed as we speak.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: saturn fuel pump follow-up.....crappy parts/mechanic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not the first time I have run into problems like that but boy when you do and things lead you to believe it is this and then you find that one single wire that did it but all the test etc point you at other things hard to figure out. Funny how a simple wire can cause so big a problem

rocko
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: saturn fuel pump follow-up.....crappy parts/mechanic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How true your words are concerning those who will admit to Spending a lot $$$$ to find a 2 cent problem. Many a time I have advised others to start with the easy things first when their not sure of the problem and still I have at times been standing right where your at. Always easy to see after the fact and don't always want to tell those stories myself. Anyways takes a big man to admit it, specially on the "WORLD WIDE WEB", Good on yah. Problem solved and maybe a lesson learned for next time. Rocko

Dick2
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: saturn fuel pump follow-up.....crappy parts/mechanic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

After I was unable to locate a certain problem, I took the car to one of those "Diagnostic places" and paid them $25 to find the problem. It only took them 10 minutes to locate a vacuum leak hidden under a panel at the back of the engine. They saved me $25 worth of frustration back then, but I imagine that the charge more now. They just did diagnostic; they didn't do any actual repairs there.

They were so busy it was best to make an appointment.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.