Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Half of 60 Amp fuse panel is dead

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nisse
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Half of 60 Amp fuse panel is dead Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was using my dad's 240 volt stick welder in his shed and half the fuse panel went dead. I have replaced all the cartridge fuses and switched the fuse holders, but the one side is still completely dead. Nothing is arced or melted that I can see. I know i should probably just upgrade it to circuit breakers but would like to get it working again for the time being. Any ideas what else I should try?
Thanks,
John

Ted in NE-OH
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Half of 60 Amp fuse panel is dead Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check supply side of panel, if it is dead check upstream where the power comes from maybe a fuse or circuit breaker there.

Donald in Kentucky

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Half of 60 Amp fuse panel is dead Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check the other end of the line at the house or the Meter to see if u blown a breaker or fuse. U need a VOM to check the voltage to fine where u are losing the voltage

Mark - IN.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Half of 60 Amp fuse panel is dead Reply to specific post Reply with quote

240 in the shed? Coming off of the house panel I bet? You have lost a leg, so what/where is the source of the leg? A single throw double pole in the house? Maybe he used two separate ckt breakers in the house panel out to the shed and you are overlooking it? The bottom line, you lost a leg, so whats the source of your legs? If its in a shed, I assume its coming from another source, the house panel. What are your legs there out to the shed?

Good luck, be careful.

Mark

Greg1959
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Half of 60 Amp fuse panel is dead Reply to specific post Reply with quote

burnt connection on the incoming line to the fuse panel. might try to check the contacts coming into the box...

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Half of 60 Amp fuse panel is dead Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Could be a number of things I know I have had it happen more then once to my shop. Bad connection at either end of the line between boxes. Had that happen and just a simple tight up the line into the box and fixed it. Also had a wire from one place to the other go bad and need to be replaced or spliced

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Half of 60 Amp fuse panel is dead Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You do have a multimeter, don't you? If not, first step is to buy one. A cheapy will do, you can buy a pretty decent DMM for less than fifty bucks these days.

OK, go to the where power comes into the panel. Check hot to neutral on each leg. Check it both on the actual conductor coming in as well as the lug where it's attached. You may find it's good on input cable but bad on the lug; that's a common problem if the screw wasn't properly torqued down and started arcing. At any rate, work forward or backwards until you find where you're losing power.

Tip: Check the voltages under load, meaning the switches and breakers are turned on, and you have something turned on for each leg. Otherwise the voltage may look good if though the connection is bad.

mick in il.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Half of 60 Amp fuse panel is dead Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just had this happen at my BIL's house, took me a hour to find. His was one side of his fuse holder not making a good connection. It would hold the fuse but not enough for a connection. Done a lot of wiring over the years and this was a new one to me.

Duner Wi
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Half of 60 Amp fuse panel is dead Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My welder in shop worked same as yours. I had a bad connection inside the box. Flat copper strips were not masking contact at a joint.

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Half of 60 Amp fuse panel is dead Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are the main fuses in those black box fuse holders that insert into the panel? Last house I rented in lost a leg. The fuse holder went bad.

Can't get new ones anymore, but the landlord found a little mom-n-pop electrical shop that had used ones, and was open on a Sunday. Got us up and running until he put in a modern breaker panel.

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Half of 60 Amp fuse panel is dead Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If one side is dead out at the shed (and all the fuses, supply and load side BOTH are all good), the problem could well be a loose or burned connection at EITHER the SUPPLY (like home or barn etc) orrrrrrrrr the LOAD box at the shed.

Or heck maybe one of the feeder wires out to the shed opened up?????

Id inspect all the lugs and cables and clamps and terminals to insure the screws/bolts are good n tight and the wire or terminals arent all burned and carboned.

Rememember, the problem could be back at the box that feeds the shed instead of at the shed itself!!!!!!!!!

Welding draws high current so I bet you will find a loosed or burned or carboned up connection/terminal/clamp at the supply or load boxes (assuming all fuzes are okay)

NOTE a voltmeter might not show all the problem (unless its totally broke open) since they are such high resistance and draw so little current, its that high current draw welder that really tests the circuit.

PS if youre talking 120/240 volt single pahse three wire, there should be 120 volts from EITHER hot leg (L1 or L2) to Neutral but 240 volts from Leg to Leg. Since you mentioned "shed" and if its been wired for years theres a darn good chance there were only three wires ran out there, two Hots and the Neutral. Regardless, that shed electrical service (older 3 or newer 4 wire) should still have a Ground!!!

John T

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Half of 60 Amp fuse panel is dead Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The problem could be anywhere from the panel out to the transformer.... You just need to trace back to where you have good power on both legs. I've seen where the lugs on the back side of the meter have basically burned off with the results you describe.

Rod

Dick L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Half of 60 Amp fuse panel is dead Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You need a cheap volt meter to check wire lugs on both ends of the fuse to ground. And all the way back to where you have power if needed.

Russ from MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Half of 60 Amp fuse panel is dead Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Like everyone else said, you have to have a meeter! If you live in a cold climate like I do you might have a broken wire underground from the frost. I have had it happen! Get a meter and trace the problem, find the problem before you start changing components!

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Half of 60 Amp fuse panel is dead Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If aluminum wire was used as the feed wires there may a lot of corrosion either at the fuse panel or where your wires are being fed. Probably should have a good electrician to check it. Hal

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.