Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Things said in 1955!!! Funny reading

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Things said in 1955!!! Funny reading Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Comments made in the year 1955!

'I'll tell you one thing, if things keep going the way they are, it's going to be impossible to buy a week's groceries for $10.00.

'Have you seen the new cars coming out next year? It won't be long before $1,000.00 will only buy a used one.

'If cigarettes keep going up in price, I'm going to quit. 20 cents a pack is ridiculous.

'Did you hear the post office is thinking about charging 7 cents just to mail a letter.

'If they raise the minimum wage to $1.00, nobody will be able to hire outside help at the store.

'When I first started driving, who would have thought gas would someday cost 25 cents a gallon. Guess we'd be better off leaving the car in the garage.

'I'm afraid to send my kids to the movies any more. Ever since they let Clark Gable get by with saying DAMN in GONE WITH THE WIND, it seems every new movie has either HELL or DAMN in it.

'I read the other day where some scientist thinks it's possible to put a man on the moon by the end of the century. They even have some fellows they call astronauts preparing for it down inTexas.

'Did you see where some baseball player just signed a contract for $50,000 a year just to play ball? It wouldn't surprise me if someday they'll be making more than the President.

'I never thought I'd see the day all our kitchen appliances would be electric. They are even makingelectric typewriters now.

'It's too bad things are so tough nowadays. I see where a few married women are having to work to make ends meet.

'It won't be long before young couples are going to have to hire someone to watch their kids so they can both work.

'I'm afraid the Volkswagen car is going to open the door to a whole lot of foreign business.

'Thank goodness I won't live to see the day when the Government takes half our income in taxes. Isometimes wonder if we are electing the best people to government.

'The drive-in restaurant is convenient in nice weather, but I seriously doubt they will ever catch on.

'There is no sense going on short trips anymore for a weekend, it costs nearly $2.00 a night to stayin a hotel.

'No one can afford to be sick anymore, at $15.00 a day in the hospital, it's too rich for my blood.'

'If they think I'll pay 30 cents for a hair cut, forget it.'

LA in WI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Things said in 1955!!! Funny reading Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JD,
About the car price sentence: In 1954 my uncle bought the cheapest Chevy car (no chrome trim) and he paid $1800.00.

About the baseball players getting $50,000; Joe Dimaggio and Ted Williams were in the $100,000 category by then, I believe.

I can"t prove it right now, but I think some of that data is in error.

But it makes for great reading, if not all factual.
LA in WI

ShadetreeRet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Things said in 1955!!! Funny reading Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had my first off-the-farm job in the summer of '56 during school vacation, started out at $.75hr. Boss called me into his office one day and said, "You're doing pretty good work, so I am going to raise your pay to $1.00hr. But you have to really try hard to keep improving." To a 17 year old farm boy that was great! I knew nothing about "minimum wage", which did change in 1955 to $1.00hr. Someone must have brought it to his attention!

Dick2
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Things said in 1955!!! Funny reading Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a 1955 Ford car; it was the worst car that I ever had. Came with a whole array of problems - and most of them were still in the car when I sold that pile of junk cheap. Replaced it with a 1962 Chrysler with a push-button transmission that was much better than the Ford. Wonder when they'll bring back push-button transmissions as "a new idea"?

Buzzman72

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: Things said in 1955!!! Funny reading Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep.

Postage didn't go up to a nickel until the 1960's...

Billy Shafer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: Things said in 1955!!! Funny reading Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can remember my grandfather pulling into a gas station. Just as they changed the sign to 21 cents. He left because it was 20 cents across the street.

Dr. Walt
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Things said in 1955!!! Funny reading Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can remember the Gas Wars back in the early 1970's, & I can remember paying just 17 cents for a gallon of "Premium" gas. I started filling up every 55 gallon drum that I could lay my hands on.

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Things said in 1955!!! Funny reading Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a new Red Ford Conv with auto tranny . Price was 2465.00 Also worked in a gas station gas was 29.9 in 56 and was paid 1.00 hr.

Rodney Middleton
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Things said in 1955!!! Funny reading Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In the 60"s sureway stations sold gas for 12.9 for reg and 15.9 for hitest on a regular basis. Once a month he had customer appreciation day--10.9 for regular. Dade county Ga. Rodney

Shetland Sheepdog
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Things said in 1955!!! Funny reading Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Winter of '56/'57 I was delivering heating oil for 16.3 cents a gallon. Price dropped to 15.9 cents in the spring.

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Things said in 1955!!! Funny reading Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was discharged from the Army in April 1955 and our daughter was one year old. I was furloughed
for the draft when I was working for the US Government and was rehired as a returning vet. We bought a 1954 Plymouth in 1953 for about 2 grand. I bought it in Delaware where there was no sales tax. The salesman tagged it in DE. Hal
PS: Here's a pic of us in 1956.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Things said in 1955!!! Funny reading Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Push button starters are back in alot of brands.

For some reason I think the push button tranny is back ? I don't know if I heard something mentioned about it on motor week ?

Fred Garvin
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Things said in 1955!!! Funny reading Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hopefully before too long the automakers will get really high-tech and get the push button starter moved to the floor.

Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Things said in 1955!!! Funny reading Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Back in the day, I owned a '57 Mercury with a pushbutton transmission.

In 150,000 miles, that's the only thing on the car that gave me serious grief. And it only acted up once, but that was when I was on a trip, driving through Indianapolis in a snow storm. I had managed to get it into "Drive" back down the road a ways, and I pulled into the Lincoln Mercury dealer in Indianapolis at noon on a Saturday. All I could see was all the service people walking out for the weekend.

All I could do was get a motel room. They replaced the pushbutton unit on Monday and I was back on the road Tuesday morning.

Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Things said in 1955!!! Funny reading Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I recall my father telling about when his uncle bought a brand new 1915 Model T Ford. It was hand crank, as were all cars at the time.

In a bull session with some other men, my father's uncle commented, "The day will come when you just push a button and your engine will start".

The other guys laughed at him.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters