Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Farmall B valve timming

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jnewark
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Farmall B valve timming Reply to specific post Reply with quote

greetings, I am rebuilding a B, the camshaft gear has 2 punch marks on one side and 1 punch mark on the other, the crank gear has 1 punch mark, the distributor gear has 2 punch marks, am I correct in assuming the 2 punch marks aling and the single punch marks aling, the shop manual is not real clear.. thanks in advance
jack

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall B valve timming Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If I remember right, the single crankgear mark fits between the 2 on the cam gear, then the single on the cam gear fits between the 2 on the gov gear. Someone correct me if this is wrong. When I put them together, I also look at where the cam lobes are when #1 piston is at TDC.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall B valve timming Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the single punch mark always goes between the double marks... not the doubles mating with each other and singles together as it appears you are inquiring about.

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall B valve timming Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To align the cam & Crankshaft gears: Mesh the single punch mark on the camgear with the double punch mark on the crankshaft gear.
Mesh the double punch mark on the cam gear with the double punch mark on the distrubutor or mag-governor drive gear. Hal

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall B valve timming Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You are correct the single marks align with each other and the same with the double marks. If your mag is good it will fire on the first turn providing the carb is also up to snuff. Ive done a bunch of them and they will start on the first rev.

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall B valve timming Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You need to be corrected. Even being off a tooth can make for hard starts. Had a hand cranker started bad and that was the problem after taking off the front cover.

jnewark
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall B valve timming Reply to specific post Reply with quote

gene would you be related to the benders in Delaware. the tractor belonged to clayton Bender
jack

pete 23
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall B valve timming Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gears are always marked so they will only align one way. In the case of single punch marks, if one gear is marked on the tooth and the mating gear is marked between the teeth then you align single to single. With double marks that are marked one on each tooth itself then the single mark on other gear would go between them.

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall B valve timming Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not on the engines for the A,B and C. Single NEVER goes between the two. Mite be so on another engine but not on those models. Iv done too many of them and the I@T manual even shows them single on single and double on double.

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall B valve timming Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know a Clayton but he lives in Ariz. If i have kin in Del dont know any of them

pete 23
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall B valve timming Reply to specific post Reply with quote

But the single would not match like I said. Can't have tooth on tooth, and if it went between it would not line up.

Bill Hires
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall B valve timming Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Copied from I & T Manual IH -8

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall B valve timming Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What engines have you done that way. Or is that some tale you were told.

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall B valve timming Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It seems like there are lots of opinions on this subject but without a doubt not much expereince or there wouldnt be different opinions. Glad to see the pic from I@T as that should set everyone straight.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.