Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

John Deere 40 Clutch replacement

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jared brady eldridge
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: John Deere 40 Clutch replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am restoring my first antique tractor and had was wondering whether or not it was necessary to change out the pressure plate whenever I change out the clutch. AS of right now the clutch is working fine, but I was planning on replacing it whenever I changed out the rear seal that is leaking so that I don't have to break the tractor down again anytime soon. Is it recommended to change out the pressure plate as well when doing this.
Thanks,
Brady

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere 40 Clutch replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it's still a good smooth flat surface and the pivot points or end of the levers look good I would reuse it. Your disk may even be good too ?

I'd check the finger height before tear down and see if they are all the same. Not sure if the book give a spec. or not ?

Bob Harvey
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere 40 Clutch replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For the time involved, I would replace EVERYTHING in the clutch. Pressure plate, disc, release brg.(if applicable) and pilot brg (if applicable). Also the transmission seal (if applicable). Unlikely you would ever have any problems or have to 'go back in' because something failed or made a noise. HTH

LarrySTN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere 40 Clutch replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Since the clutch works the way it should now, I would inspect the clutch and pressure plate as Mike says, checking finger height before removing pressure plate. And as Mike says if the disk looks good reuse it also. There are many back to the field work horse tractors that have had the pressure plate reused without issue.

LarrySTN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere 40 Clutch replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mike, I've seen in the past that your in central Ohio? Are your near Wooster?

Larry Baker
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere 40 Clutch replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jared

It has been my experience on the dubq. to also go ahead and change the imput shaft seal and check it for wear.Dont know how many you see sitting pretty with the same leak,you've done got it into may as well go one more time.One more issue to check while you got its pants down is the splines on the shaft that runs from the clutch to the transmission,some of them the splines are almost gone,just some stuff I learned while attending University of Hard Knocks

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 40 Clutch replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Work in wooster and live in Ashland Co.

LarrySTN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 40 Clutch replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you used to work in parts at the john deere dealer that was on 250?

Dave H
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere 40 Clutch replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would do like MikeM. No one will know if it is "new" or not in there.

When I had my 420 apart umpteen years ago I put a used clutch disc in there.

It is still working like new.

jCarroll
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere 40 Clutch replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

New throw out bearing. Check wear on the mechanism, now is the time to make it "new".

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere 40 Clutch replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes. If you live in Orrville area then I'm sure we know each other.

LarrySTN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere 40 Clutch replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yes, I'm near Orrville.

Brady Eldridge
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 40 Clutch replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for all the information

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.