Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sandblasting Sand

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimlll

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Sandblasting Sand Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does anybody know of a source for bagged sand (FINE) in NW Arkansas. I would like to purchase about a ton.

Ken-Pa
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting Sand Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used to be able to buy sand in my own buckets or tubs from a professional commercial sandblasting Firm until they finally stopped selling to me . The business owner advized me to go to Home Depot or Wally World & buy kids playsand in bags . He said I"d get about the same results without the worries of silicon dust . Plus save money . I"ve been quite pleased . HTH ! God bless, Ken

gmccool
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting Sand Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I buy mine at Menards. Gerald

NCWayne
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting Sand Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Watch out for the play and as it often contains clay particles. Ran out of the right stuff years ago and decided to use play and to finish. That resulted in me having to buy enough on Monday morning to reblast everything again to get the clay off so the fenders could be primed.

Steve-Maine
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting Sand Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I buy mine at Tractor supply

Jr. Roby
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting Sand Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is a good sand blaster?

Skaning
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting Sand Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Northern Tool

ldj
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting Sand Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Errrrrr! EPA or Lawyers or both or what ever. I used to go to mineral plant that had a mine. The sand was pure white and cheap enough I didn't go to the trouble to catch and screen it to use again. Went there one day to get several drums, they just dumped it into my empty 55 gal drums in back of pickup. They said sorry we can't sell it to you any more. I ask why and they said liability, you get it in your lungs and we are liable. I said how can you be liable the way I use it. All they would say was orders from home office.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting Sand Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't use near that much but I just use all purpose sand and sift it through screen wire. I tend to reuse the sand anyway and have the sift box anyway.

Old Bob
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting Sand Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can buy sandblasting sand from Arkola Sand plant in Van Buren. I used to take my water troughs and feed tubs and they would fill them with sand. A whole lot cheaper than bagged. Hope this helps.

Ken-Pa
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting Sand Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I tried that black Diamond from TSC & it actually ruined my special tip in my gun . I called the company that made my blasting cabinet & they said " man don"t ever use Black Diamond in our cabinets" . So I had to order a new gun tip for my cabinet . Then I drained the Black Diamond , then went to Home Depot for some play sand so I could finish my parts . I was able to use the balance of Black Diamond in my gravity fed blasting unit tho . God bless , Ken

Russ from MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting Sand Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A couple of years ago I found 3 bags of red flint sand laying on the side of the road, had fallen off a truck. It goes through my sand blaster OK, but it doesn't seem to cut very well. I think this sand was destined for a pool filter. Has anyone ever used red flint for sand blasting?

Steve-Maine
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting Sand Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To Ken-PA
I have been using Tractor Supplys sand in a large sandblaster outdoors and had no trouble.

JOB
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Sandblasting Sand Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Back in the 30's, I think in west Virginia a tunnel
was dug through a mountain. All the rock that was in
that dig had the silica dust in it. After the tunnel
was completed within a couple of years a lot of the
men died from the silica dust.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.