Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OT Utube

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffcat
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: OT Utube Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok it can"t be that hard. When you look at something on Utube; how do you save it? Up on the top left corner in the tool bar is {File} but it only saves the page not the actual little program. There have been a lot of neat videos but how do you save them? I know a bunch of you folks should know. Do you need to join up or something? Thanks much Jeffcat

dhamps10
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Utube Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Most, but not all, of the ones I watch, have a DOWNLOAD box.I think this is a part of REALPLAYER. If you don't have realplayer, it is a free program.

Inno
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Utube Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Depending on what browser you use there are add ons to do just that. One I have for Firefox is Download Helper. Whenever you are on a page with a video the little icon starts rotating indicating that you can save the video. I think part of You Tube's terms of service dictate that you're not supposed to be downloading and saving their videos.

old_bc
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Utube Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Download the free version of Realplayer and install it. Then you will have a tab on the upper right of the Youtube screen to save the video you are watching. It doesn't show until you put the cursor over it.
Realplayer

Stan in Oly, WA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Utube Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've saved a bunch of my favorite YouTube videos by just adding them to my Favorites. I certainly don't have any special programs to do it. I think I run Windows 7 and whatever version of Internet Explorer would be the same vintage. I made a YouTube folder in Favorites and when I want to save a YouTube video I save it to that folder the way I save any other site. It must work because I go back and watch them regularly.

If there's some reason that doesn't work for you, you could just copy the addresses and paste them to a folder in Word, or whatever word processor you use, then reverse the process to watch them. It wouldn't be quite as convenient as having them in your Favorites, but it would be easy to do.

Stan

DiyDave
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: OT Utube Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I ain't all that compuker savvy, but I just hit the share button, and email it to myself!

Inno
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Utube Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Diydave wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:11:53 12/30/12) I ain't all that compuker savvy, but I just hit the share button, and email it to myself!

By doing that you are only saving a link to the website, not the actual video. If the user took the video down for some reason then you would not be able to watch it again. If you actually save it then you will be able to watch it or put it on a portable device etc. and watch it even when you are not connected to the internet. Same with what Stan is describing.

Last edited by Inno on Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
DiyDave
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Utube Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I still gots the title, to search youtube with!

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: OT Utube Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is no "legitimate" way to download youtube videos to your computer, provided by youtube.

It protects them from copyright infringement a-la the old NAPSTER fiasco.

If you want to save the videos to your computer you need a separate utility, like RealPlayer.

The problem with RealPlayer is that Youtube is constantly trying to block it from being able to download videos. If you have RealPlayer installed as a plugin on your browser, eventually Youtube will stop working. Then you have to uninstall RealPlayer and wait until they come out with a new version that gets around what Youtube blocked.

It's a constant game of cat and mouse, and I got sick of it. The videos are simply not that valuable to me.

Stan in Oly, WA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Utube Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dave,

That's true, but Inno is making a point that's worth noting. If what you save is the address rather than the actual video, as your method and my method does, than you don't have the video once there's no address leading to it anymore. It won't do you any good to have the name of the video or its address to search YouTube for it if it isn't on YouTube any more. But if you have some way of saving the video itself, then it doesn't matter if it's removed from YouTube.

This point was driven home to me yesterday after my previous response to this topic. I went to the folder containing YouTube videos in my Favorites and clicked on one to see what I could tell about it. What I could tell was that it had been removed from YouTube and all that happened when I clicked on it was that I got an error message. I thought that was pretty strong confirmation of Inno's point.

Stan

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.