Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What to look for on an A

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TSWolf
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: What to look for on an A Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am going tomorrow to look at a partially restored Farmall A that someone wants to trade me for my Ford 2N. I am not as familiar with the Farmalls as I am the Fords, so does anyone have some advice or ideas about what to look at/for on the A.

ken house
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What to look for on an A Reply to specific post Reply with quote

check steering wheel for play. it is a large job to rebuild the steering. everything else that i know about you can see.

RTR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What to look for on an A Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's not that bad of a job. I just finished a Farmall 140 which is pretty much the same. Just need some help when doing it. The kit for mine was $68 shipped!

I would look for a cracked block behind carburetor. Also, you'll want the manual lift, and any implements; since they are getting harder to find. Personally, an A isn't much use anymore since most tractors have the hydraulics now. Alot of people still use them in parades and such though. I would much rather have it than the 2n.

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What to look for on an A Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The manual lift for the Farmall A goes with the implement and is not a standard part of the tractor as the lifts are different for all the implements. So the tractor will not have a manual lift as standard equipment that goes with the tractor. There were two types of lifts manual and exhaust lift for the different implements. Loose steering is easy fixed but do check for a crack behind the carb as thats where they cracked when not enough or no Anti Freeze was in the cooling system allowing the block to freeze.

Stumpy(NH)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: What to look for on an A Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What I have found to be the most common problem is the final drive cases loose causing the bolts to break off, tear out the threads, etc etc. The result is a farmer repair by overdrilling the holes for large bolts and or welding the final drive on. Some of the final drives are broken where they mount to the trans case. Take care that they are for your tractor too. The final drives on an A and a super A are not the same. the drawbar mounting is different. The super A drawbar uses a large hex bolt and the A uses a small one. The Super A drawbar comes off just by loosening the bolts, A needs bolts removed to do so. If one has been repalaced it may be fun mounting certain implments.

I won't judge you either way on the Ford....I have a bunch of those too. I like them all. As far as it goes the 2N has 3 point and hydraulics...the A has none. Todays implements fit the 2N such as a plow or harrows that you can get at Tractor Supply or any other implment dealer...The A? Well....happy hunting. What you plan to do with the tractor should be your most important factor in making a decision.

I would love to have a BN here to ted and rake hay with.

My .02

Stumpy

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: What to look for on an A Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Also if you use a sickle mower you would like the way you can turn corners with the BN MOWING.

CNKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: What to look for on an A Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As much as I dislike the 9N/2N/8N, if you are using that 3 point buy the A and keep the 2N. The 3 point and decent hydraulics are the only advantages over the A or Super A, but are important if you need them.

TSWolf
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: What to look for on an A Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do have a Ford 9N I can use for working with the 3 pt. I am just tired of fighting the unreliable 2N and want to make a change.

RTR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: What to look for on an A Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The As are a cultivating tractor and what is what they do best. Cultivators are a "must" implement with an A

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: What to look for on an A Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The A is worth about half that of a 2N. As for the 2N not being reliable well it should be just as if not more then your 9N just due to age.
Things to look for well pretty much the same as any tractor. An A has No hyds at all. No 3 point. Sits taller then the N series fords do. I have and do own both or have owned both. I even have a half breed BA which is a B from the transmission forward and and A from there back

notjustair
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: What to look for on an A Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have an A and an 8N as my little tractors. Nice to use in the barnyard as they are light enough to not tear up grass and stuff. They will do most jobs that you need without firing up a big tractor and threading it through the trees and buildings. I didn't want/need the A but took it on trade for a vehicle that set all the time anyway.

I rarely use the A. It will probably be that way for you. The cultivision was great but very few cultivate that way anymore. I sure am not taking that little bugger out to the wheat stubble with the intention of doing anything other than checking things out. It's kind of sad because I have the full set of mounted cultivators for it sitting in the shed.

I have a woods belly mower for both. I am 99% sure they are identical. I have decided that this spring I will put a belly mower on the A. Maybe then I will actually use it a bit.

That said, you can never have too many old tractors. Even if you just use it to check fence it is a fun little tractor. Just not as useable as something with 3 point and hydraulics.

PretendFarmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What to look for on an A Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got a little lucky in CT. I purchased my A with a loader and a PTO hydraulic pump. I don't have the loader on anymore. Ill slap it on if I have a job to do.
I ended up finding someone 2 hours away with a 1940 A (I have a 41), he had a snowplow setup with manual lift, and a single bottom plow setup complete with the lift. Also threw in a belly lift for what I guess would be for a mower. All for $200.
I plow up the garden in the spring and fall, and plow snow, tow hay rides and other misc crap.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.