Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Winch mounting height

View previous topic :: View next topic  
doorman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Winch mounting height Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just bought a gooseneck trailer for tractor hauling and I'm going to install a 12,000# winch on the uprights for the hitch. How high above trailer bed should I mount the winch? Any help will be appreciated.

Jim in Ma.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Winch mounting height Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I mounted mine High and it works great. If I want to lower the cable I use a snatch block down on the deck.

ericlb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Winch mounting height Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the best all around will be half to 3/4 to the top of the goosneck frame, assuming the frame will take the stress of a hard pull, you may want to install kickers from it to the main frame for bracing, too low, and the winch cable will be likely to cut into the rear of the trailer as it pulls under load,depending on the rear design of your trailer, straight tail, as opposed to a dovetail too high and as the load approaches the front of the trailer it will actually be trying to lift the front of the load up which may make it unstable,

scotc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Winch mounting height Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you mounted it lower you could also put a roller in the deck where it breaks over off the flat.

Nebraska Kirk
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Winch mounting height Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I mounted mine roughly 6-8 inches above the deck. It works pretty good for me as I have frequently had to winch two tractors onto my trailer. After the first tractor on is on, I just run the cable under it to winch the second one on. I also welded a ring to the deck directly under the winch for hooking the cable to when using a snatch block. I have had to use a double line and snatch block a few times, but then my winch is only 9K.

Dean Olson
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Winch mounting height Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I mounted mine high. About 36" above the deck in between the 12" I beam frame rails. It keeps the cable from dragging on the break over point at the dove tail.

I didn't lose an deck space and can drag multiple implements/tractors on as the winch is never blocked.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.