Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

John Deere G aftermarket aluminum radiator

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnDeereJimOhio
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: John Deere G aftermarket aluminum radiator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How big of an aftermarket aluminum radiator would I need to keep my G cool.. I'm going to run mechanical fan so I can keep my alternator.. My motor isn't anything crazy so it doesn't run super hot, however if I go a lot bigger I'd like to not have to buy another radiator...
Thanks

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere G aftermarket aluminum radiator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Years ago my Boss who owned the dealership I worked at pulled a G that ran good then,,nothing like they do today, we used a piece of 4" exhaust pipe with fins welded to it and screens on each side to hide it for a radiator, worked out fine for him and got rid of some weight.

JohnDeereJimOhio
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere G aftermarket aluminum radiator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tim, so he just hooked that into the lower and upper water pipe and ran it like that? I would think that one of the new aluminum rads should be more than enough for mine then

Mike Aylward
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere G aftermarket aluminum radiator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jim, in my 70 pulling tractor I use a radiator out of a 4300 compact utility tractor along with an electric water pump and gate valve to control flow. I use a model B fan on the fan shaft and also an electric fan up front. It stays cool unless I have prolonged idling and then it warms up. Mike

JohnDeereJimOhio
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere G aftermarket aluminum radiator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mike would it be too much trouble to ask u for a few pics? Also does the 70 have the large upper and lower water pipes? How did u neck them down by hose ? Thanks for the reply

Mike Aylward
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere G aftermarket aluminum radiator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't have any pics of the setup right here. I remade the upper water pipe and manifold out of lighter weight steel. I used a shorter piece of pipe on the bottom. It was a simple matter to weld a washer on the end of the pipe and then use a pipe nipple the right size for the rest of the plumbing. Mike

Mike Aylward
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere G aftermarket aluminum radiator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jim, if you like I can take some pics on my phone and send them to you. My email is open if you want to talk privately. Mike

jd b puller
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere G aftermarket aluminum radiator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jim, the radiator out of a compact will keep a 100HP 2 cyl cool in 100 degree outside temps.

JohnDeereJimOhio
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere G aftermarket aluminum radiator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I found one on eBay this is what it says, think it would be enough capacity?

Specifics and Benefits:

Stronger & Higher Capacity for Coolant than Stock Units
Made of High Quality Full T-6061 Aluminum Construction
Direct Bolt-On OEM Fitment or Replacement
High Performance Euro Spec. 3-Row Racing Design
Overall Size: 14.50" x 16.50" x 2.00"
Core Size: 14.25" x 13.75" x 2.00"
Inlet/Outlet: 1.25"/ 1.25"
Improves cooling by 35 - 45% Temp.
100% Brand New
I think this would be enough, I may be getting talked into a water pump and electric fan as well I just need to figure out how to run my alternator..

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.