Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hercules ' What's this'?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fuddy Duddy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Hercules ' What's this'? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just got in my new hercules engine for my Oliver Cletrac.
Block looks to be to same. My old one is a '51. This new one is a Military '67 model. I'll have to use some of the parts off my old engine like the bell housing. This one has a fuel pump and water pump which my old one didn't have.All that will work. Looks like all the same ports are on the engine. Wether they are used are not. It will work in my Oliver Cletrac. What I can't figure out is what are these two ports in the oil pan? I can't figure them out? What are they for?

J.Wondergem
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Hercules ' What's this'? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe a water cooler, or heater, Just thinking out loud.

Gambles
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Hercules ' What's this'? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are both of them the same tube?
I know of a military forklift that uses an air-cooled Deutz engine. It uses engine oil to heat the cab. Could those tubes have water piped through them for an alternate purpose?

rrman61
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Hercules ' What's this'? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

An oil cooler? How hot does engine oil get any way?

Fuddy Duddy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Hercules ' What's this'? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's a thought. These engines were used in Jeeps from what I understand. Could be for cab heat.
Hope I hear from somebody that knows for sure what there use was.

Fuddy Duddy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Hercules ' What's this'? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I wouldn't think they need an oil cooler. Mine didn't even have a water pump. What they call a thermosiphon system. Hot water would flow to the cooler area and Cold water would want to flow to the hotter area. I know it sounds crazy. But they say it works.

Fuddy Duddy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Hercules ' What's this'? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the help. Guess I need to get the air compressor and blow air in one side and if it comes out the other. I'm guessing it will. I'm leaning toward the cab heater theory. Would like to find someone that will know for sure.

J. Schwiebert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Hercules ' What's this'? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I might still have an IXB parts book. Also your Military motor will be different internally from your IXK engine

Fuddy Duddy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Hercules ' What's this'? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"different internally" How so? Heavier duty crank, rods, different cam, cam gears?

Farmritch
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Hercules ' What's this'? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The M151 had hot water heat, to the best of my memory.
Is it a 151 engine or a stationary engine?
Nothing is standard in the military lol

Farmritch
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Hercules ' What's this'? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Also looks like it has a magnito so I'm sure it's not a m-151 engine. My guess stationary power of some sort.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Hercules ' What's this'? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If that is in fact a jeep engine those could be there as a simple way to stick rods in so 2-4 guys could lift the engine out and drop in a new one pretty fast. Some how out in the field the they to be able to repair or ditch things real fast

Dalet
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hercules ' What's this'? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It could be a pre-heater to keep the engine warm at all times by pumping warm water through. That way it can be started and used at 100% right away rather than waiting for the engine to warm up, for a generator or a fire pump or something.

MNGB
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Hercules ' What's this'? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The M151 (jeeps) had Ford L142 engines 72 hp @ 4000R's 141.5 CID 4 cyl inline.
GB in MN

Farmritch
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Hercules ' What's this'? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I worked at AM general the last 1000 M 151's that came off the
line had Hercules engines, I would believe the first 151's had
ford engines but by the time they got to the A-1, A-2 models
they had Hercules.
I know this as I salivated over the racks of new engines I walked by every day until the last came off the line. Also as a side note those last 1000 went to Pakistan.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.