Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starter rotation

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J Strickland
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Starter rotation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok Folks,

I had a Farmall Cub given to me.It is missing a few items. Starter, Magneto and Generator or Alternator I have not had a chance to look at it in depth yet. I do know that the motor is free and will turn. Question will a starter off of an A work or at least turn it in the right direction. It is to cold to bust a knuckle to find out. It is a 1949 cub with lights, so generator or Alternator is needed to recharge battery from useage and starting of the tractor.

Thanks,
James

J Strickland
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter rotation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Picture of Cub

rhtx55
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter rotation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not the only supplier, but they have a lot of useful info you might enjoy reading:
http://www.farmallcub.com/dcms/

Last edited by rhtx55 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter rotation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JFYI 99% of all engine made turn the same direction other wise it would be hard for companies like Wagner and muncie to build transmissions etc that will interchange. As for the starter that I can not say

Bouncer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter rotation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is a tremendous number of engines out there that turn the opposite direction of your 99% figure.

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter rotation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the starter mounts behind the flywheel there is a chance it may work. Otherwise not. I am not familiar with a cub.

292 Ralph
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter rotation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

James,
Does your starter on the cub come in from the front side of the flywheel? The A starter comes in from the backside of the flywheel .Your mag is also special to just the cub.

J Strickland
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter rotation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Depending on which way you are looking.

J Strickland
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter rotation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I understand the J-4 Magneto works on the Cub.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter rotation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes there are but they are not common and no where near as many so the ones I am talking about. Now starter motors that is a total different thing. As a matter of fact I do not know of any engine I have ever seen that did not turn the same as other, other then one and it ran both ways and that is how the thing had both forward and reverse you simply shut it off and started it back wards to go back wards

charlieu
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter rotation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here are a few pictures of an alternator kit that I have designed for the Farmall Cub to mount the Hitachi alternator.
The starter for the CUB enters the flywheel from the front. I agree with old 99% of all engine turn the same direction, CCW when you look at the flywheel from the rear.

Bouncer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter rotation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So diesel engines are not common?

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter rotation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

just by looking at the fan you can tell the rotation of that engine, and also when cranking them you crank clockwise from front. dont know of any of these old tractors that dont turn this way. depends all on how starter mounts.

equeen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter rotation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Stick yer hand crank in the slot and crank it clockwise. The engine will continue to spin in the same direction.

Yer flywheel is firmly attached to yer crankshaft, thus it will spin in the same direction.

Yer starter has to spin counter-clockwise in order to spin the flywheel clockwise on this Cub.

For the Cub, it's easy to get the picture because you're looking from the radiator back and can see yer starter motor, etc.

Huskers86
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter rotation Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All my diesels and gassers that I have turn clockwise if standing in front. What brands turn the other direction? I'm curious to know.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.