Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Disable Chime 1993 Bonneville?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn F.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Disable Chime 1993 Bonneville? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to disable the chime on a 1993 Bonneville?

Thank you,
Glenn F.

Mark-Ia
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Disable Chime 1993 Bonneville? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Most older cars have a chime that plugs into the fuse panel. just unplug it. A rectangle box about 1/2 to 3/4" thick.

scotc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Disable Chime 1993 Bonneville? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

By the time that was built it"s likely part of a module and simply unplugging will disable other functions. At that point you simply unplug it, open it, break the speaker, and put it back together.

The newer Gubmint Moters cars all chime through the stereo.

Glenn F.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Disable Chime 1993 Bonneville? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

After posting my question my phone was dead, so I plugged it in and went back out to work on he car. The old car is worn out by anybody's standards but it sure is handy having a third vehicle around here.

Anyway, I replaced almost the entire brake line system due to rusty lines. Problem is I can't get the brake light to go out in the dash. I was able to find & disconnect the chime, but if I could just get that light to go out I could leave the chime plugged in. I have bled and BLED all four wheels/brakes. They are all shooting a strong stream of fluid with each bleed, but I CANNOT get that light to go out.

I'm totally worn out tonight. If any of you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you,
Glenn F.

Bobkatz
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: Disable Chime 1993 Bonneville? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Make sure emergency brake is releasing all the way. BTDT. Found after a a long time looking at everything else!

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Disable Chime 1993 Bonneville? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No offense but can't you just ignore it?

I've been driving my dually pickup around for almost 3 years with the ABS fuse removed. Both the ABS light and the brake light are lit. I ignore them. Truck drives perfectly, and is safer because the ABS doesn't kick on at 5MPH regardless of road conditions.

Determined
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Disable Chime 1993 Bonneville? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Proportioning/combination valve.

GordoSD
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Disable Chime 1993 Bonneville? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Put some black electricians tape over it.

Jthomas1970
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Disable Chime 1993 Bonneville? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Determined may have it. You may have a centering valve in the Proportioning/combination valve. This valve moves one way or the other depending upon pressure difference between front and rear systems. It is a safety device and illuminates the brake light if there is a leak in either front or rear. It is usually located under the master cylinder, has both front and rear lines running to each side, and an electrical connection in the middle on a switch. Sometimes you can remove the switch and reposition the valve with an ice pick manually. If not, bleed one side or the other (depending on which way it moved) just enough to move the valve back to center. Be careful, you can move it all the way in the opposite direction and have to bleed the other side to center it. The way to tell this is if the light goes out and comes right back on again. The trick is to bleed it just enough for the light to go out. Bleed it just like you bleed the system at the wheels, with two people. It's not difficult, just confusing. Good luck.

Glenn F.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Disable Chime 1993 Bonneville? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Unplugged proportioning valve electronics, turned on ignition briefly, plugged valve back in, and light is now off/chime silent. I had disconnected the positive battery terminal last night, but no luck.

I drove the car two different times, putting on around 15 miles. All is well. Fingers crossed.

Thank you to each of you.

Glenn

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.